All the brands of trimmers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 17, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I am needing to buy a new trimmer. My Echo SRM2400 has been a disapointment after only about 3 years of semi-commercial use (only used about 3 summers, not any other time though), and the ignition is going out.

Anyway, I don't think I want to go the Echo route again. I also am thinking I want to stay away from Stihl unless I look into the new 110 4mix models.

Right now I know about Shindaiwa, Maruyama, Redmax (site isn't working tonight?), Husquvarna, and thats all I can think of. I did hear about Robin trimmers, but don't really have any dealers around here.

Anyway, what all brands of trimmers are out there that are good?

I guess I left out Makita and Takana (sp?).

Need all the suggestions I can get because I need to buy one very quickly. Thanks y'all...
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS110 4mix
    or Red Max
    or Kawasaki
  3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like my tanaka the best so far. There will be a few sticky triggers down the road a bit and the fuel return pops out sometimes, but overall it is a good machine.

The stihl 110 uses 30% less gas right? Is that why they shrank the gas tank almost 50%? It seems like every few lawns my guys have to gas up. They are not speedy gonzolas's (how do you pluralize gonzolas?) but they can do ok. 3-5 lawns they have to refill. I have the BIG tanka and can run a full day OR two on one tank of gas. The stihl 110 4 stroke has moderate power though. I was surprised by that. It wont be considered a "big boy" but it can be very handy on long jobs with medium to light trimming needed. JMO though.

Fuel cost may be more important shortly, so dont discredit any money you can save here and there.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I almost walked out of the store with a Kawaski yesterday. It was only 9.9 lbs or something and 1.5 hp. BUT, I took it outside and trimmed for a second and the swath is so narrow. Its honestly like using a 15" swath insead of a an 18". It was very hard to edge or put a good gap between walls etc (which is obvoiusly very important when you consider I trim with my 48" mower).

Which RedMax trimmers should I look at? I don't know any of their model numbers or anything and their site wasn't working yesterday (I'll keep trying...).

I noticed that John Deere makes some good trimmers. Honda makes some too, but they are all true 4 stroke engines and seem heavy, the smallest still weighed 12.7 lbs or something.

Anyway, what models specifically should I look at for each brand y'all like? Keep in mind I don't brush cut, I just want a good quality trimmer with reasonable power and I want to keep it light to make my job easier after a long day. Thanks again.
  5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

kaw because of the weight ,15" cut oh nevermind on that i didn't know that part i'll get back to ya on the rest
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I am still using mine part time, but love my new Redmax 225. it's a little on the lower end of their line, but plenty of power for anything I will run into, simply trimming and maintaining an edge. Dealer support was great too, and something I am moving more into as my business grows.

I haven't use many other brands, so I'll only comment that I am happy with the one I have. Hope it helps.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Trottman, I've got the Kawasaki all you need to do is take out one screw on the side and then you can scoot the gaurd up the shaft a little. It doesn't need to move much and it doesn't make the gaurd less effective or any thing. Also my dealer gave me an extra line head for free with mine. It was $230 with tax out the door, and deffinatelly the best trimmer I've owned or opperated. Hope this helps.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Also which model were you gonna get? I've got the ktr27a.
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely get a Red Max!!! I just bought a Red Max BCZ2600S trimmer and I love it!!!:D
  10. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I bought 2 of the Red Max's this year. I am pleased and the cost was under $300.00. I have an Echo and a 4 year old Shindaiwa. The Shindaiwa is still my favorite though. The price was considerably more than the Redmax.