1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All These Rich Kids With Big Rigs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Aug 13, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Every day I see more and more bloody rich kids that have there parents buy them their equipment. they will end up thinking they get every thing given to them.
    " realty check on Isle 4, thats a reality check isle 4 " I mean I had to work to get to where I am now and they just get it given to them.This is a joke!!

When I see young guys that are the new kids on the block and have only just started operating driving good rigs it real pi##s me off.
    I was always taught that you start at the bottom and work your way to the top.
    My Parents didn't have any money to give when I started . When I started I tryed to get a bank loan for equipment and they told me I didn't have a credit ratting. So I went out and got a job at the local nursery(630am to 430pm job)and saved an saved and saved and saved and worked my a## off for 2 years ( Didn't go out on the weekends with my mates, Sold my YZ 250, ) It was hard times! After the bank saw how much was going into my account and how little was coming out they were offering me a loan. I borrowed $25.000 Aussie dollars from them. I went out and bought a $7000 Ute (truck) and a $2000 trailer, EB650, T260, Sthill 029 chainer,FS 44, Honda push 19'', Homlite hand blower and a GD mighty compac ZTR a 2 gas cans and a pair of peltors.

This is how things work in the real world boys and if they can't hack it to go out and do somthing for them selfs in life don't bother cause you just going to go through life with a bad work ethic and thinking everything is going to be easy. Cause It Aint or at least it should,t be. Working hard for things is much more satisfiing too.
    Rich kids will never learn!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I love pullin up to a job in my beat truck an trailer, backin the lazer off and just makin the decked out compitition look like crap.:D

Why spend the big bucks if ya can do the same with the small change?;)
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I can't blame rich kids for getting what they get :) I remember the ones in school driving the brand new Beemers and Mercedes while I drove less of a vehicle. And then I looked at like this, "at least I have a vehicle." There were some who did not. When I got out of school there were rich kids that drove new Vettes. Meanwhile I had the 5 Liter Mustang. Maybe not a Corvette, but not all that bad either.

If they get all the new stuff, sure I am envious, but they still have to learn the ropes. I started off in the trunk of the car (ultimate scrub) mowing up to 50 lawns a week. I could not get anything decent. I did not understand the value of what I did could make more money and did not have the credit to get anything better. When I finally figured it out, I figured out how to get out of the rut. I try to figure out how to get out of ruts every day.

I don't blame them for what they get, nor do I want to change anything I had to do to get where I am at today.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's nice to know that brats & daddy's money syndrome doesn't pay any attention to national borders. Be sure you keep an eye in your local paper for 'almost new' equipment being sold off at the end of the season. Once the children realize how much real work is involved, they want out.
    If the kiddies haven't crapped it out, could pick up a bargain.

Can only hope that Mom & Dad have had enough, kicked them out, of course they had to buy them an opportunity to land on.
  5. pinnacle

Rustic goat :So true mate. so true
  6. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

I feel exactly the same. I've worked my --- off at some many jobs to get to where i am. I could go on and on about rich kids
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I know if I were a offspring of rich parents and they offered to help me out starting a new business venture I would be the first to tell them:

"NO THANKS, folks...I would rather work for (waste) several years of my life at a pitifully-paying job and then grovel at the feet of a banker for a high interest small business loan..instead of getting started RIGHT NOW".

NOT! :p
  8. pinnacle

#1 I was getting paid $25 an hour at my nursery job buddy.
    and I was on an apprenticeship so I was attending technical college one day of the week and working around plants for the other 4 and now I have a certificate in Hort so I would say its been the exact opposite of a "waste of time" mate. I value those years.

#2 Hows 8.5% over 5 years with a zero residual value sound for a first loan Mate.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We have a guy here who is a multi-multi millionaire. Owns a bunch of properties and industrial sites in the area. He has a couple of his kids who had nothing to so he let them start a lawn care and landscaping business. Every 2 years he trades out his -8- Toro Z's for new ones. They have new bobcats, dumps, trailers and a brand new building with office, shop and a full service landscape center.
    The boys and their friends cut all of the properties that daddy has and of course they have other properties that they do too.

I guess that if someone bankrolled a new business for me when I was 18 I wouldn't say no. But no one did and truthfully,you and I know what hard work is like and it builds character. I have more admiration for the guy that starts with nothing and gets his own than a guy that doesn't need a hand out and gets it.

Don't let it get to you since you can out work those guys any day.
  10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I don't blame the kids for taking advantage of an opportunity. After all, if we had the ability to get something for nothing, how many of us would ultimately turn down the offer?

For generations, kids will see how far they can push their parents, what they can get away with, and what the punishment is if they go too far. Parents are spineless wimps these days!

My parents had money. Sure, they gave me my first car, too! I had an awesome '81 Plymouth K car and a mid 80's Toro 21" to start out with. Boy, I would have been a babe magnet in that car if it was still 1981. Too bad I started driving in '92! They gave them to me, yes, but they also gave me something more. Work ethic, dedication, desire, respect, ambition, responsibility, and a good swift kick in the rear-end when needed.

I believe a parent can instill these same qualities in their kids and still get them on their feet fast by helping them out. It's a challenge, but it can be done. If a parent can pull it off, who can blame them? Isn't it the American Dream to do better than the generation before you and to have the generation after you do even better? I know it is for me.....

Don't worry, the ones who don't deserve it won't succeed and you'll see the 'for sale' adds in the paper:)