All Walker Mower Owners (Snow Plow)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by pclawncare, Jan 18, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know this post belongs in the snow site, but does anyone on here have the plow that goes on the front of the walker mower? How does it work in snow and slush. I am considering buying one because in oklahoma most snow we get is a couple inches and usualy its wet i already have a snowblower, but it doesnt doo real well in slush and wet snow. I am just looking for comments if you would recomend the blade or have you been unsatisfied?

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and use it a lot. You'll have to get snow tires and maybe chains too. Traction can be a problem. I like it enough that I'd buy another one.

3. pclawncare

Well as for the chains would you recomend that i get the chains or my dealer mentioned that for about half the price of chains there is a guy here in town that will stud a set of tires, like they do on dirt bikes and 4 wheeler tires for ice and stuff would you think this would work good?

4. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt recommend studding your walker tires with screws...i race quads on the ice with the studs and the studs wear out fast when used on pavement and sometimes will rip up the asphaut

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't go with studs either. If the tire gets damaged for any reason, you'll have to get the new one restudded. Chains would be easier. I tried making a set of chains, but the chain material was too soft and wore too quickly. I googled tire chains and found several companies that would make a set to fit my tires. Walker doesn't make chains for the tires that I have. It looks like you might get some snow this weekend to use a plow. You won't regret getting a plow for the walker though. Good luck.

6. pclawncare

Ya they are talking like 6 to 10 in possibly i know in colorado thats not alot, but around here it is. No one is really equiped to deal with snow fall of that amount. The city here has about 50thouand pop. and i think like 4 plow trucks. We got about 4 inches of sleet build up and they canceled school for 2 days because they couldnt clear the streets and in oklahoma city they canceled school for the whole week

7. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

i would like to bring this back from the dead...instead of making a new thread

does anybody else have anything to add to this?
    ive got a navigator and have been thinkin of next year allready!

also i would love pics and videos of other ZTR's with blades/snowblowers too

that way if you have been the test dummy and hate or love them i can know ahead of time:cool2:

Thanks
    Nathan