All WALKER MOWER OWNERS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjfaulk, Sep 26, 2002.

1. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

It has come time for me to buy my first Walker, and I cant decide on the 20 hp or the new 26 hp. I have 2 different dealers one has a 26 hp that has 15 hrs on it and I was suppose to demo this unit for 3 weeks now but the fuel pump has went bad and been out of service. But on the other hand the other dealer seems alot more knowledgeable about Walker, says that he sales way more 20 hp than 26 hp. Just because the 20 hp has less gagets and whistles to break down. After talking with dealer #2 seems like he really nows way more, so my ? to you guys is those of you who have the 20 hp, is it enough horsepower.
    Thanks

:D

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Just remember Your not Running just a deck your also running a Blower. If you whant to Run a bigger deck in the future you will Need the horse Power to Do that(Like the 60 Or 74). The Other reason Is if You whant to run winter option's you need a Engine that start's and run's in the cold. And last But not least You need great gas milege.

so Go with the 26FI Kohler. they did Have some sort of recall On the pump Mounting. ask the dealer about that.

All The 26's I Have are great with Very Littel Problem's.

John.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

They have an upgrade for that fuel pump. The screen in the pump was too restrictive. I know, it happened to me. In over 700 hours it was the only burp. Otherwise I would never go to a 20. I had a 25 and this 26efi kills it. Look at it this way. The 26 uses as much fuel as the 20 does. It is a great engine. Don't let that pump scare you. Use it to get some money off the mower and then laugh all the way to the bank.

The 26efi is the way to go.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have a 1997 20HP with a 48" GHS deck at least 1800 hrs, full speed up hill wet tall grass engine does not bog. See no need for more HP unless maybe bigger decks or attachments. I plan on using this only with the 48.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm with ksland. I have a 20 hp with the 48 inch deck and its has plenty of power. If you are going for the bigger decks I would go for more HP but for the 48 20 HP is enough.

6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto the last two posts. I also have a 20 hp with 48" GHS deck. More than enough power. On the other hand.....the 26efi has a great reputation, and the gas efficiency is as good as the 20, so if you don't mind spending the extra $'s it may be cheaper to own in the longrun (less chances of fuel problems common which are common with carb).

7. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am planning on keeping the 48 deck on it, its just sort of bothers me that this dealer has had the 26 efi in the shop for 3 weeks waiting to get it fixed. Theres more to the story, but the dealer who has the 26 efi does not know that much about Walker, alot of the time he calls the other dealer asking him ? on how to work on them. Now the other dealer has a great, great reputation for his knowledge and going out of his way to help people when there is a problem. But he really likes the 20 over the 26, simple because he nows the 20 is very reliable and the 26 has more gagets and whistles that could go wrong in the future. I just want to make sure that if i get the 20 that I will be happy with it. Toooooo many decisions, as soon as i decide i can go and get my new toy.:blob2: :blob4: :blob3:

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the 26 and run a 52" deck. Kick those blades in and it sounds like a jet engine....love it

MATT

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm, wonder what the problem is with the 26hp efi.

i've sold a few of them, they are nice machines, added hp, no choke, fuel efficient, smooth running!!

on the other hand...there are a gazzillion 20hp kohlers running strong!!!

i'd opt for the new MTLEFI29 - Liquid-Cooled (29-HP) Electronic Fuel Injection Engine and have the baddest mow-fo around!!!!:D

10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

i have a walker mower in mind that i am looking to purchase it is a 1997 20 hp. The owner is a friend of mind and he has already told me that it burns oil. What does the typical 20 hp motor run for these machines and what could i expect for an install job like this. This machine would be great to get this time of year and i have been looking for one for quite a while. Please hurry with any info because i would like to buy it buy Sunday and i have to talk my dad into it.