all wheel steer

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by stslawncare, Apr 6, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

does anyone have one of those all wheel steer john deere tractors? i havent seen one in person but have seen them on there webpage. whats the turning radius on these? how would u compare it to a ztr and a garden tractor? might it be good for a beginner who cant afford a ztr?

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie, I'm pretty sure those AWS tractors are about as much as a Z. Not worth it IMO. And I think they're considered homeowner.

Hank

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

No, they are not only for homeowners. John Deere have All Wheel Steer on the 400 and 500 series lawn and garden tractors as a option. These 400 and 500 series tractors are truly like a farm tractor, only that it is smaller. There are tons of attachment that you can put on these tractors. Like a loader, power sweeper, tiller, hydraulic bagger, etc.

4. MuskTurfKing

Yeah, the 400 and up series is commercial, but they are EXPENSIVE! I wouldn't mess with one for just mowing purposes, I'd get a Z, but if you needed it for lots of landscaping purposes it would be a good piece of equipment.

Hank

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

According to the specification sheet, it says that JD 400 Series AWS with 60" deck have trim radius of 6.5"

IMO, I think it will be a great way for beginner to start with. There are alot of attachments that you can add to 400 and 500 series tractors for other work such as a loader for moving soil or mulch. With a ZTR, it cannot take attachments.

6. MuskTurfKing

I agree with ya. It sounds like it would be a valueable piece of equipment for Scottie since he does do a lot of work with soil and stuff of that sort. That type of work doesn't really attract me though...

Hank

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i dont one, i was just asking, i have a tractor and my next mower will be a walkbehind then a z

8. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I looked at a new JD 455. They are nice but not that nice for $11k. And my Buddy has a Kabota AWS it is pretty nice, Feels like you are doing donuts when you turn. But it was $9100 and had very few attachments for it. Buy a ZTR and be done with it.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota make the G1800. It has 4WS,16hp diesel,48"deck.
    Very quick for their size.Quite manueverable,although not as good
    as a Z. Definately not for home owners. I don't think their cut
    quality is as good a a good Z mower. Tends to scalp a little.
    Not enough float on the deck.
    JD don't hav an 4WS model over here yet.

10. rockcreeklawnser.

rockcreeklawnser. LawnSite Member

Just remember that the more moving parts that you have, there is more to go wrong. I have never tried one, but I tink I would go with a ztr. All equipment has it`s ups and downs. As an ex farmer a small piece of advice... if it has t*ts or wheels it`s gonna give you problems!