1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

all wheel steer

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by stslawncare, Apr 6, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have used the Deere's - all models, when workin' part time at a deere dealer. Just driving them around, but the AWS is awesome. The 400 series ones have power steering and with a 72" deck they will actually have a negative number for trim radius. They are a nice tractor, but for mowing only, or even snowplowing, get a Z. I'm not sure what all attachments the 400 AWS series takes, but i'm sure it will not take a loader because of stability issues. Check the website but i'm sure it doesn't. Also check out the new 400X and 500X series, 4WD, maybe a 4WDAWS model, now that would be sweet!
    They wouldn't be bad for mowing , but if you don't need it for anything else a Z is better.

That's just my 2 cents, but hey, it's only 2 cents! LOL....
  2. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

the 400 series loader is lightweight. Its not rated for ground engaging work. That means it can scoop from a pile, but it really isn't good at digging or grading. If you want that kind of loader you have to look at a kubota BX series which cost about the same as the JD 400 series. Even with the short turning radius of all wheel steer, you are still over the deck. So you can't put the deck under trees like you could with a Z or walk behind.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No they would not be good for a beginner. Yes, they are a good garden tractor, but they are still a garden tractor. They are also expensive. Even the baseline spin steer is not cheap. Regardless of the attachments you still have a better turning garden tractor. Not a comm'l mower.