all you hardcore leaf guys....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

After a big estate job I did today by conventional means, I'm not sure I respect you guys more or rather I think you are all totally insane.

Those of you that do leaf cover that you swear you can't mulch....
    If they are any size at all, there is no doubt in my mind you're all NUTZ.
    AND if you don't have a leaf plow in your arsenal... you should be institutionalized.

That's my rant of the night.
    *trucewhiteflag*

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a plow, but did'nt really like it. Now I just pull the pin and drop the deck all the way down and push em, works just as good.:)

3. Envy Lawn Service

Used that trick today myself.

The shape of the TANK/Ztwo front end lends itself well to this use.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

i got a rake on the front of one of my ztrs. I just drop it down and push. Works well on leaves but even better on pine needles.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I was telling Wayne that after using the mower as a make-shift leaf plow I was thinking maybe I should have bought a nice leaf plow and an accelerator side catcher.

Slap on the plow, gator blades and the side catcher.
    Start plowing like crazy while pulverizing and catching anything missed by the plow.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We did a two acre leaf cleanup last week using two Standers and catchers, and one tow behind sweeper. We had a woodlined hill to dump the baggers and hoppers. The front leading edge of the Stander deck acts as a catcher in deeper leaves and will push rather large piles to the edge of the fields. Using the mulch kits with Gator Magnums, we went over the entire area and then follwed with the second mower with the bagger AND sweeper. I think we used the backpacks a total of 10 minutes out of three hours. I wish we would have taken pictures. It looked as if it had been raked and blown clear.We have mulched and bagged many of our cleanups since 2004, reserving the loader for long ditchlines and driveway dump sites on commercial areas.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I'm a mulching guy myself too. Like I told Wayne, I could have blown this one out, mulched every leaf into the turf and been out in under two hours probably.

I estimated this leaf work at 3-4 hours based on these methods and NOT mulching them into the turf. I think I had near 5 hours in it blowing, make-shift plowing, and making leaf mulch of them spread out in a 'leafscaping' area.

I've never used these methods on any other job of this magnitude.
    But one thing is for sure... it's for the birds.
    Mulching is much more effcient on the larger stuff.

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i always mulch so much easier . the turf tracer i have i put a mulch kit on it every fall just for leaves its the only time i use. ithe other day we did a condo complex that 5 acres fenced in with streets and only took out 2 1/2 bagger fulls .

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching's fine until they get knee deep, you just can't mulch really decent cover, no way.

Now I was pretty impressed with the video on the JRCO Web site until I got to use my 10 hp blower today... After clearing an acre lot in about an hour with that, the leafrake still impresses me mildly.

I guess it would do ok on the Z, but then that thing eats 2 gallons / hour and it won't fit everywhere... As for the Wb, heck I can push leaves without a rake on that, it's all the same thing in the end: Heavy leaves bogs the Wb down, the tires just spin in place.

Where the leafrake is made of aluminum, the 10 horse blower puts out a solid as steel 6x6 inch PISTON of air that moves leaves 10-15 feet out almost instantly, large piles take a few seconds at the most.
    If you were to step in front of the output chute unaware of the force of air coming out, I can almost guarantee if it doesn't land you on your tail, it will at least throw you off balance, there is no way I can put into words what a 10hp push blower will do, only seeing is believing.

I guess that's why those 10 horse blowers run up to a grand, ever since I bought mine 5 seasons ago I have never wished for any other solutions.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I finally got to clean a church yard yesterday, the ladies had a 2 day function, fixing fried pies and such as their annual fund raiser (for a bus to carry the older members on field trips and such) and then they sold them most of the day Sat. I went early and cleaned part of the yard and then went back about an hour before dark and finished. I used the ACS and sorta mulched them and blew them to the inside. WhenI got done, I put the accelerator catcher on and picked up the fine pieces.

The parking lot is 350 feet long and about 30 feet wide.I started out with my 7001 blower but I was running out of daylight so I went to the trailer and got the lil wonder blower for the parking lot. I have the 5 hp model, IT does very well on asphalt and I cleaned that parking lot as fast as I could jog or very fast walk and there was a good amount of leaves on it, I couldnt see the asphalt for the leaves.

From the way Ive done leaves over the years, there seems to be different ways to do them, depends on the lay of the land and the amount of leaf drop

wayne