1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

All your mowing equipment.. winterizing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Nov 27, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure we've all heard many ways to winterize...

Aside from the regular maintenance and cleaning I've always just stabil'd the fuel and then change the oil and filters in the spring before I start them up.

What do you guys recommend?
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I don't know. We use our stuff year round, so nothing special for us:) sorry.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I've been putting about a tablespoon of oil into the spark plug holes to keep them lubricated while not being used.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I always wonder why guys wait until spring to change the oil. I am not trying to be a jerk but have you ever looked at and smelled your used oil? It is full of corrosives, acids, moisture and all kind of crap that you leave in your engine for 3 or 4 months to ferment. I know most of it is down in the sump but why not just change it out now. Spring is busy enough and I like to be able to put the battery in and start making money.
    I do many things to winterize and basically it reflects what I said above. The mower is ready to use in the spring. New grease, belts, blades, plugs, clean it up and put it to sleep. The only thing I will do in the spring is check the tire pressure and off we go.
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

So you leave fresh oil in there all winter long then crank it at the begining of the year? Just does not make sense to me at all.
  6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I agree it makes more sense to change the oil now. I did so on my mower last week.
  7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

With old oil all the junk will settle to the bottom and create engine sludge, Kawi manuals say to change it before storage.
  8. MartinsMowing

MartinsMowing LawnSite Member

well you can never change your oil enough. change it before you store so it has nice clean oil, then you have to change it again before you use it in the spring. if its just sitting there even brand new oil... it breaks down and loses its film strength.
  9. Bedell Property Mgmt.

Bedell Property Mgmt. LawnSite Member

i haven't been doing this too long... but something i learned from my old man is a little maintenance goes a long way.

it applies to lawn equipment... but almost everything else too

10. fishmagnet

fishmagnet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I change the oil, replace plugs (if needed), clean the filters, sharpen the blades, and top off the tanks with fuel and Stabil every winter! :weightlifter:

Don't like that old corrosive oil just sitting in the sump 'stewing' for months. :nono:

About once a month, inbetween a football game half-time, I'll go out to the garage and fire everything up and run 'em for a few minutes.

Come spring, everythings ready to go! :cool2: