All zones are weak.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 10, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowner called with "pressure" problem. Just bought the house and thought there may have been a pump that was removed. Home has 53 psi. All zones are weak. Using 5-6 Maxi-Paws with 15-17 gpm nozzles per zone.

I want to renozzle down to 13-14 and see if I can get them to work enough so that at least they will rotate.
    Some zones also have spray heads on them as well. What a piece of work! If needed I will renozzle those with MP Rotators to gain some gpm.

Any ideas on my "solution" to the problem.

Thanks folks,

John

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Wow... here we go again guessing what was originally put in that worked. :)

Start with the main line and POC. What size is it and what size are the valves?

Are you saying each Maxi-Paw is putting out 15-17 GPM and the whole zone is putting out 75+ GPM?

3. jcom

1" PVC to a manifold on the side of the house. 1" DV 100 valves.

I checked the nozzles on each head and total gpm is 15-17on the Maxis.

Homeowner is not sure a pump was in place. Her theory.
    I don't know if the system ever worked. System is perhaps
    5-6 yrs. old.

Thanks

John

4. jcom

1" supply. 1" meter also.

My apologies for the omissions. Early morning is my excuse this time.

John

5. PurpHaze

After checking the Rainbird site on the Maxi Paw specs, by all indications they should work fine. Both types I looked at will work as low as 25 PSI depending on nozzles.

Lower the nozzles and see if the new nozzles make them work better. (Indicate exactly which nozzle is being used and the exact Maxi Paw model.)

6. jcom

After looking at the POC that is in place, I think a pump may have been in place before the house was sold. Using the pipe configuration as a clue.

The pressure is adequate, but the design and nozzles are to blame. As it is, the maxis will not rotate as they should.

I am going to change those nozzles that are overwatering and see what happens.

Thanks Purp for all the help.

John

7. PurpHaze

You're prolly on the right track. If the lower nozzles don't help you may have to totally change the sprinkler head types or reinstall a booster pump.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Maxipaws have better low-pressure capabilities than just about any rotor. Nozzles can be swapped, to reduce consumption (and raise supply pressure) ~ also, and this is important, there is an adjustment for the impact arm spring, that you need to make for low pressures and small nozzles. That alone can restore operation.

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I did not know that boots and I thought I was a maxi-paw expert. One of my favorite heads.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

For the black and red nozzles, the adjustment should be made as standard practice.