all zones turn on

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by chuckers, Apr 18, 2005.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

When the time for watering comes the controller turns on all the zones. It runs them then shuts them off? There was no work done to the system or anything from last year. All it was done was blow out and turned on this year and it does that I cant think what could possibly be the problem.

Thanks Chris
  2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

all of the zones only come on with the timer are all they all on until you manually turn the water off? If it is controlled by the water then someone might have left the valves manually open if it is controlled only by the timer it sounds like a wiring/electrical issue.
  3. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Simple.. all the valves are open except the main valve. open the valve box and close the valves.
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

that or there is voltage leak from one wire to another...but if system was blown out from valves, noel has the correct response.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I make a lot of money off responses like we have here already. Please, details, details details. What kind of controller? any idea what kind of system? I could what if for about three pages on why you have what you have, but not without more information. What state was the controller in when you arrived? On? plugged in? Did you try removing the control wire (assuming it is not a hydraulic system) from one of the running zones? These are the questions a true techician answers in about the first 5 min on site and why a good tech can charge way less than they are worth because they are more productive.
  6. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like good advice to me. I overlooked the mastervalve as an option. We rarely even see them on commercial jobs.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I ran into a similar problem some years ago. All the valves were off and half the zones still all came on at once. I pulled the face off the controller and lo and behold, a mouse had made a nest in there! During the nest construction, he had chewed the insulation off of several wires and, apparently, the bare wires were touching each other. Some electrical tape temporarily solved the problem.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Or all the stations are timed to go on at the same start time.