1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

alldayRJ's picture thread

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alldayrj, Apr 11, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Revisited this house that got the stoop knocked off by a car. The homeowner repainted the house and did some landscaping.
    [​IMG]

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

dang, that looks so clean

3. alldayrj

Thanks man, I love how it came out. Wish more people would pop for wet laid bluestone.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

That front step looks awesome.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, great looking set of steps you did there All

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

It's so crisp it looks fake or photoshopped.......that's a neat stone....

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Nice simple design, but If I might make a suggestion regarding the use of visual aids. Some customers really like the help of visuals but Id make sure they reflect finish product a little more closely. If your going through the time to take the measurements, and transfer them into the computer, then be sure to do so accurately. The computer generated image shows about an 8' - 10' space to the right of the rear doors. But in actuality it looks like you only have about 4' or so. This could lead to expectections that were misrepresented. There clearly isnt enought room for a 4' bbq as pictured.

Not trying to nit-pick, but if a customer relies on your presentations to illistrate a final product, there just might be some expectations that arent there in the end, which just might cost you.

8. alldayrj

Thanks perficut, just saw this. Definitely a good point.

We've been slowing down but there's still work to do. Need to drum up some more fall work, I have to get more diligent with my follow up calls. Also been meeting with some builders and remodelers to open up my work funnel

Enough chit chat, on to the pics.
    First, a nightmare grading job I did as a sub for another masonry company. These guys are great, they pay me daily rate plus hourly if needed. Ey also use my laborers. We don't do things the same way, but it's their job not mine.
    60 yards through here. I covered the neighbors walk with dirt to prevent damage but it was justtt wide enough that I stayed off it. They had a pool installed and they were hacks, left garbage everywhere. I graded out a plateau for the concrete patio that will have a brick border then a retaining wall.
    [​IMG]
    View towards the house
    [​IMG]
    View away from the house
    [​IMG]
    They weren't paying for the Harley rake so I dragged it with a piece of chain link haha
    [​IMG]

Two weeks later the guy I sub for came in and did footings for the wall and had me move the block and brick to the back. Not enough time IMO but again, not my job. They pour a foot of concrete then mortar the wall blocks down to it
    [​IMG]

9. alldayrj

Some stoop action. Used brick and bluestone. Did the snapped bluestone garden wall too
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

This one is crab orchard and red brick for an older couple. They requested the small risers and a friend of mine who is a builder did the railing. We also did the walkway
    [​IMG]

10. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

The riser height on the brick and bluestone.

Is the top equal to the rest? Looks like a broke nose
    Posted via Mobile Device