1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

alldayRJ's picture thread

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alldayrj, Apr 11, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

A broke nose?
    The risers are 8". The top one is 5 or 6. Unfortunately they didn't want to do the walk over or the porch so it was the only way to connect point A with point B. It's pretty much identical to how it was they are having railings installed soon.

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Is that to code there? Here all steps must be within 3/8" of each other. Riser also can't be over 7 3/4".
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

International building code limits rise height to 7 3/4" virginia has a modification to allow 8 1/4"

However my concern is the un equal height. That is a trip hazard, and liability.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SVA_Concrete

You could have equaled out the risers, without changing the bottom landing. At least to with in 3/8"

Take 5/8" out of each rise and that top goes from 5" to 7 1/2"
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Where do you buy these adjustable bricks? My supplier only carries the ones that build 8" steps

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that, but the code usually only allows for the steps to vary only so much. I don't have any codes in front of me at this time. But I know most codes do not allow for one step to be 5" and another step to be 8".

7. DVS Hardscaper

That footer doesn't look deep enough for the frost line for NY if they're using a concrete footing.

#Concerning

8. DVS Hardscaper

cut the material

or recess the material

9. SVA_Concrete

It can be done, think outside the box. Right now the skins are loosing and i am too cranky to explain
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. HHlandscaping

HHlandscaping LawnSite Member

Looks good RJ.