1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Allectus failure anyone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Oct 1, 2010.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I have had allectus failure put down at a heavy rate on irrigated lawns, 2 of my friends that own fert companies did as well, all irrigated Wondering how many other guys/ gals out there use allectus and have had failure this year. Is it possible that the blender screwed up?

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had several large properties that had severe grub damage after using allectus in late June and early July. I even had some insect damage at my own house.
    Never had problems when we would apply straight Merit.
  3. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Had no problems with allectus this year. What insects did you encounter?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The Bad News is Bayer stop guaranteeing Merit here in Florida a number of years ago. What is Allectus other than Merit and Talstar mixed together??? We had a lot of Grub Failure because of a New Grub to our area "Sugar Cane Grub". I am hoping my luck with Mixing Dominion and Bifen XTS to make my own Allectus keeps working for me. Our Grub Season is not over by any means.

BTW I Believe I am in the Grub Capital of Florida. I have no university study but it appears our Man Made Canals have given us the perfect Grub environment. To my south is an other Man Made Canal Town that has the same high pressure Grub Problem while to my North we see very few Grubs or Man Made Canals. I am not going into how a Grub Egg absorbs water Etc Etc because I believe there is more to it than that.
  5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had bad grub damage in my yard this year and last year. i was thinking of going with something else this next year. funny thing is 3 uears ago i was using top choice i would put it down in march and never had any grub damage but that stuff is high...

was thinking of maybe trying aloft....
  6. wcb607a

wcb607a LawnSite Member

I went to a class yesterday for credits and allectus was discussed. Most of us put down allectus in late June, but allectus only has a couple months life cycle, if watered in properly. Grub eggs can lay dormant for months until there is moisture in the soil or it rains, but this summer was very dry, so the eggs did not hatch until late this year, which means allectus is at its end cycle and wont kill the grubs this year. Allectus has less active ingredients then merit. Something to think about.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

We had 0 grubs this year. Too dry. I was afraid to apply ANYTHING around late June, early July. It was too hot and dry to physically drive anything over the grass. Let alone spread fert. Plus, no water to "water it in", it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Just got 11" of rain though.
  8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

maybe aloft
  9. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

from what i've read the aloft window is bigger then merit...
  10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

sorry karl I started reading your post about trying something different and I read no further before suggesting aloft...which you already mentioned:hammerhead: