Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

How many guys use this product, and how effective is it? Does it matter if it rains? I am looking for a better product than Sevin. It seems we always get a little rain every second day to ruin the apps but not enough to effect the insect damage.

Thanks, Don
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I used Allectus 18-2-5 on my lawns and so far, no problems. Knock on wood!

3. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Did you just apply that fert mix once, and then switch to a reg. fert for the other apps. How does rain effect it?
  4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Allectus is a combination of Merit and Talstar. The Merit needs to be watered in to the root depth within 48 hours of application, so rainfall would be beneficial. Once watered in Merit is very stable and should not be affected by normal rainfall amounts. Like any type of residual pesticide excessive amounts of rain will leach the Merit away from the root zone. And too much rain before the application is not good for you should not apply this product to a saturated soil since it will not percolate and carry the Merit down into the soil. The talstar will do its job in the thatch zone and is a contact that will affect the surface feeding insects as it's watered in.
    The Merit is a one time a year application, so you would only have to use the Allectus once. If you have a lot of pressure from surface feeding insects however you may need to do follow up applications of Talstar.