Allergic to Wasp Sting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeeperscrow, Jun 6, 2014.

  1. jeeperscrow

    jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 288

    I get stung by something every year. Usually it's when I run over an underground yellow jacket nest (three times last year). Nothing ever happens except I scream and run like a baby and the spot swells up a bit. Then this year I got stung by a wasp, and within 15 minutes my entire body was covered in red itchy bumps, and my chest started hurting.

    Ended up going to urgent care and got three shots (so it's like I was stung four times!) Now I have to get epi pen and that sort of stuff.

    Makes me worry about this career. Anyone else have this problem? This is such a bad career choice it seems now that I know I'm allergic.
     
  2. crusty_crab80

    crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska
    Posts: 403

    No. People can develop an allergy at anytime to anything. Its unpredictable. There are "home remedies" the the natural approach but carry the epi pen just because. Singular is good. It helps against asthma and an antihistimine for allegies.
     
  3. herler

    herler LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,144

    A healthy diet and vigorous exercise seem to have helped mine, I haven't suffered from this particular allergy in many years, my diet excludes alcohol and nicotine, in my case a limited caffeine intake equivalent to about one cup of coffee a day, moderation and in many cases complete abstinence concerning harmful substances appears to be one of the keys.
     
  4. KLawn75

    KLawn75 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 87

    I used to eat big red gum and other products with the same hot cinnamon flavoring all the time when I was younger. Now, If I eat 1 stick of big red gum or 1 red hots candy, my tongue and gums and lips get extremely sore and swollen like someone took a blow torch to them. This lasts about a week before going away. I can't eat anything salty when that happens.

    Mosquito bites no longer make me itch and I don't get any swollen bumps from them. They still love to bite me and I can't stand that annoying buzzing in your ear they love to do.

    I'm still terribly allergic to poison ivy. I know I've gotten into it days before the rash starts where I actually touched it because I get itchy in my armpits and other sensitive areas where you don't want to be itchy!
     
  5. OakNut

    OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,070

    Bad career choice?

    You think that's bad? I'm allergic to grass. And tree pollen and just about everything else I deal with daily. LOL
     
  6. fireman1000

    fireman1000 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 69

    It's called anaphylactic shock and it is a TRUE emergency. What happens is the tongue and throat can swell in seconds cutting off the oxygen supply. An epinephrine pen is a good idea even for folks without known allergies because a person can become allergic at anytime in their life. A good second alternative is to keep a bottle of Benadryl close at hand and to take a large amount if a reaction starts!!
     
  7. jeeperscrow

    jeeperscrow LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 288

    Yes. They had about six doctors/nurses look at me at the office and acted like I might have to go to an emergency room for a bit. I had no clue it was so serious. Hate going to the dr. but b/c my chest started hurting and after a little online research I quickly decided I better go this time.

    Also, I never knew you could become allergic at anytime...obviously I know that now.
     
  8. Marshmallow

    Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL
    Posts: 329

    Bees kill more people than you think. It's advisable to carry an epi pen!
     
  9. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,466

    Weird too,I get bit on my legs every year,and we I go back to the same lawn the bees want to attack that same spot.Almost like they left a sent for the others to follow.
     
  10. ProStreetCamaro

    ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,123


    That is exactly what happens when they sting so others know there is danger.
     

Share This Page