1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Apr 29, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

This is S.G.K.'s 3rd year in opperation, and every spring my allergies kick up. They aren't horrible, but they are annoying. Do any of you guys have this problem? What do you all use to keep it under control? Thanks.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hi, i have always had allergy problems, havent had any problems for about a year, this past week i have been doing tons of cleanup jobs, esp leaves and high grass with tons of weeds. for the first time in ages they have been bothering me, not horrible but like u said annoying, the best thing i have ever done was started taking clariten d, not regular clariten but clariten d, also if needed nasacort works good, u want the spray not the liquid. also best thing i did was go to a ent.
  3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

It's about the same for me as it is for you guys..annoying and agrivating..but not severe. The amount of pollen here in my area is enough to choke an elephant. I'll wash my truck..then a couple days later is is yellowish-green again. When we mow, we only stir the stuff up even more.
    As far as keeping my allergies in line, i take 1-2 Allegra a day. Of course, in order to get Allegra..you need a prescripiton from you doctor. Also, if i have a lot of nasal congestion, i'll use tylenol sinus to clear me out. Good luck with the allergies guys.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i took allergy shots every week for about two years. now i rarely get a sniffel from pollen or weeds. i used to get a headache everyday in the spring from pollen and weeds. now i can do clean ups and cut grass with no problem.
  5. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have had problems ranging from aggravating to severve for as many years as I can remember. I tried the presciption stuff but it did not work that well for me. I have found that Nasalcrom works pretty well for me but you have to start using it for a couple of weeks before your problems start to be really effective. Also, I have found Benadryl to be very effective BUT, I only take it at half the regular rate so it does not make me sleepy, not a good thing when operating power equipment. Also I had a problem with sinus infections untill a doctor told me to always use a decongestant when using an antihistamine. I like the sudaphed 12 hour stuff.

Good luck!!
  6. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've always had a problem with allergies but last year was the worse. I don't go to the Dr.unless I have too. It had been 11yrs since I'd beed to a dr. but I went and it really was a life saver. She put me on a product called Zyrtec. I tried all the others before she gave me this but it's costily but worth every penny. I take it all year long for everything.
  7. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

Take claritin d in the morning, and you should be fine.
  8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I have alergies... BAD.

Found best solution was to grow the business to the point where I work in an airconditioned office now...
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I had probable the worst allergies of anyone I have every seen. I took allergy shots for 7 years or so, no not a single problem. I have not taken an allergy pill in years, they only mask the problem anyway, shots solve the problem.

My oldest son has been on them for a little over a year, he's like a new person.

Hey linky, you want the posts above removed??