ALLIES..Do you have any?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Sharks, Mar 19, 2008.

Do you have Allies in this business

1. Yes i do!

31 vote(s)
  2. Ive tried to. "but no luck"

2 vote(s)
  3. No and i dont want any!!

1 vote(s)
  4. I dont but... I wave "hi" to the other LCO's

5 vote(s)
  5. This thread sucks! ......So heres my vote..... LOL

2 vote(s)
  1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was sitting with my boys yesterday shooting the sh*t.. Their are 4 of us that grew up together that own Lawn Companys now. And i was telling them i had made anouther allie in one of my neighborhoods that i service ((( its a good way to keep everyone at the same price 4 lawn care.. if their honest when their talking to you))) So i asked my buddys besides us 4 have any of you guys made Allies with in the lawn biz? And suprisingly yes they had. they went on to say that they have guys that they would loan equipment to or hook them up with edger blades, string Ect... I was thinking is this the begining of a revolution??? well...anyway do any of you have ALLIES in the business or have tried to talk with other LCO's?
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Myself and another 'goofball' cut in one particular highend community.
    He's got a ton of work in there, and is slowly loosing a few here and there to me. He's aware of this. Just last week I was approached by one of his clients, she told me he was charging $30-$35/cut... for whatever reasons, it varies.

Anyway he called that day after making a huge scene on the street... talked about how he wanted to be neighborly and introduce himself as a fellow/friendly "LCO" rather then a competitor. I asked him what his rates were in there and he said "$40-$45/cut"

Lied to me right off the bat....

now I know how he gobbled up so much work in there...
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I had a LCO lie to me once rite from the get go about a price from a little old lady thats a friend to our family.. I already knew what he was charging her before i asked him because she showed me the invoice..And he lied and told me he was charging $100.00 a month when he was charging only $80 and i told him well she said you were charging her $80 a month. Then he said well she's lieing to you and if i were you i wouldnt have a customer like that. So i then told him well your the lier because i seen your $80 invoices and she said you never show up and by the looks of the place it's the truth also she said you are always breaking her irrigation heads and never fixing them! So he just looking at me then shot me the traffic finger & called me a lowballer and left... I just laughed at him.. He didnt want ANY of
  4. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

Yes I do, I talk to all the other lawn and landscapers , most are willing to talk either socially or biz wise, its best that way no reason at all to be a suspious psyko scared of your shadow type...........
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

We help each other out if we get a job that is too big for one of us or need a tractor or dump truck. If you have to put a lot of people on the ground for a short time it works out well. Instead of runnig to the rental just pay the other guys. We send each other emails on who the PITA's are and the non-payers. If we break down we go get the parts or tools or what ever. It may be an interuption but sooner or later you will need something and it's a great feeling to know help is on the way. I once gave a deck belt to a crew working next to me and never knew the LCO and never seen them again. When I went to the dealer there was a belt waitng for me, paid for.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My 13th year and I have a couple who are good guys. I have seen them come and go but the ones who have been around a while and not doing this for beer money are cordial. I even have one guy who has passed work to me. Believe it or not they weren't rotten jobs either, I have mad much $$$ from his pass offs.
    There are some guys that just glare but the ones who know the business are at least cordial and wave.
  7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I could not imagine not having friends that are in biz. Almost all of us in my neck of the woods are somewhat buddies. I have a couple that we get or plants at the same place. It is almost a hour drive, so before one of us goes we call and see if anybody else needs something. I still owe a guy for mowing one of my properties last year when it was raining every day.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have plenty of friends in the business a couple i grew up with and we always help each other out...this winter one of the guys salt spreader went down so i had one of my guys doing his properties for him...worked out both ways
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I network with 3 other LCO's. 2 work in my area and another is way south of me but we seem to get calls in each others area so we refer business back and forth. The 2 that work in my area are really good guys. We've loaned equipment back and forth, helped each other on really large jobs and in one case helped finish up anothers route when his water pump went out in his truck. We pass info back and forth about pitas and so on. It's good to know that if I'm ever in a bind I can call on these guys for some help.
  10. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a number of friends in the business. My company doesn't do fert or irrigation so we've got some guys that we recommend to all of our customers for those services. I've also talked to alot of guys in the areas that I work in. I don't see any reason to be unfriendly with the other guys I see out in the field. There just tryin to make a living just like me. There seems to be plenty of work in my area for everyone anyway.:drinkup: