1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Allison 1000 transmission flush?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rcslawncare, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Referring to the owners of the allison, Have you done it and how often. Bought the truck with 110k on it and now its at 140k. Dealer told me to flush it for $250. If heard good and bad. Leave it or flush it?
  2. epicklein22

epicklein22 LawnSite Member

Hmm, I would forget the flushing and just change the fluid and filter. I have heard more than one horror story about flushing
  3. rcslawncare

Thats my thought! I think I am just gonna do the drain and external filter. Probably my best bet.
  4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine got it after it ate the flexplate and front seals and again at 90K when the fluid was changed.
  5. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

There is a ton of good info at dieselplace.com
  6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

without knowing the last time it was done, if it was ever done. I wouldnt do it..

Same goes for changing the fluid and filter..
  7. Lawn Man Dave

Lawn Man Dave LawnSite Senior Member

Some will say flush, some will say just the fluid in the pan and the filter, some will say leave it.

You will hear just as many horror stories from people that did either of the above.

To get a good laugh ask the dealer if they will replace the tranny if it takes a dump X amount of miles after the flush...

Also remember that filter's get dirty and this restrict's flow.... it is a gamble regardless of what you do at this point.

The main problem people have with just a pan fluid and filter change is that if the filter does not get "locked in" and the tranny sucks's in air with fluid or the filter fall's into the pan.....

Doing nothing the filter will continue to filter and collect debris and it will just be a waiting game... As long as the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt you SHOULD be ok when it comes to the fluid...... It is like motor oil, it will start to look old and with trenny fluid it will smell burnt when something is going on.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

If you're hauling or towing, you should change the tranny fluid every 25,000 miles. I alternate between external filter and internal filter. And I had it flushed at 100,000 miles. I have had no problems out of my Allison. I expect it to go quite a bit further. And just my .2, $250 is really high for a tranny flush. I got mine done for $99 at the dealer just a couple months ago.
  9. rcslawncare

Interesting, thanks for the info!!
  10. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

I flush mine about every three oil changes, keeps all the metal fragments out of the tranny providing better cooling and longer life.
    But im running a custom 450hp tune.