Allison 1000 vs Aisin 6 speed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nosparkplugs, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Allison name is legenadry in transmissions, Aisin at face value may appear new; however the Aisin 6 speed is the NPR automatic, with a legendary record for reliabilty. Aisin is the Japanese "Allison".

Transmission rebuilders have long said the Allison 1000 is almost too smart. The argument is that the Allison is always learning or hunting for gears. Of course Allison is always offering upgrades to correct these problems.

With the introduction of the Aisin 6 speed the Allison weakness's are now being uncovered again. The Aisin 6 speed is suppose to shift much smoother than the Allison is not prone to the Allison gear hunting.

Folks also need to remember the Allison 1000 is built to GM spec's, it can only handle 150lb/ft over stock. Aisin 6 speed is no better either. SO no matter the choice all these auto slushbox's are pushing the OEM envelope

Both are heavy duty transmission's, at this level of quality yes it comes down to splitting hairs:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

It will be interesting to see how the Aisin does, have read good things on the interweb but haven't meet anyone with real world experience. I really like the Dodge(& former Bullet) specs but they just don't seem to be out there.

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Smoother?....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe on the DM it might hunt for the right gear. But on my 01 5-speed, it tends to go down a gear and stay there longer than needed. Doesn't hunt empty or loaded. Mine did have a factory valve spring change in it back about 50K miles ago which took care of the hard engagement. It got a new flex plate, pump, and seal then too as the flex plate was starting to fracture. Of course, you're not supposed to exceed a tailshaft speed of 4600 RPM either. :laugh:

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The Allison transmission in the GM trucks isn't a true Allison it doesn't live up to the Allison name. It was designed for P/U trucks and that was it. Built cheap as it could be so it wouldn't drive the price up on a P/U truck.

The true Allison transmissions is the ones used in the old HDX logging trucks they are 6spds with a 12v71 infront of it. The trucks are designed to gross 200,000lbs and decend the bush grades of 15-18%.

GM doesn't even own Allison anymore it used to be Detroit Allison. They used to make marine transmissions. Now you have ZF making automatics, Eaton is making them there are other manufactures building them for class 8 trucks.

People hear the word Allison and think that the transmission used in the GMC P/Us is good. Its not like I said its build cheap as they can. If it was built the way a Allison should be you would be paying allot more for a GM pickup.

The max gvw rating for the 1000 Series is 19,000lbs so the tranmission is maxed out in a 4500-5500 Chevy truck.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

7. 02DURAMAX

and who said the C4500 and C5500 have a 1000?

they have the 2000/2400 Series Allisons NOT the 1000's!!

so they are not maxed out and a 1000 allison is rated for 26,000Lbs

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

on many forums i have read how people say the best truck would be the ford chassis with a cummins engine and the allison transmission. i have had to trucks with the allison and have worked them both very hard in very mountainous terrain. they both have held up great with no problems. as far as hunting for gears i've never experianced this problem, mine have been right where they need to be. i have heard many good things about the aisin as well, just have no experience with them. i am sold on allisons as is about every GM owner i have come across. perhaps some of the ford/chrysler guys may know better about the allison. lol.
    good luck,

9. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

I said this in another post. The Allison 1000 is a GM spec'd product, on an Allison design, with an Allison name. At the end of the day its not a true Allison product.

Allison will clearly have a say in the end product because they are not going to wish the longterm survival and name of Allison for the GM cash flow stream.

GM may be gone next year but Allison does not want to be the baby thrown out with the bath water.

(P.S.-Nooo, I'm not predicting that GM will be "gone" next year. Its a figure of speech. -Not an apparition "Junior M".

Why does writing "Junior M" both make me think of Bond 007 and chuckle at the same time. Really, Junior M?

10. 02DURAMAX

GM owned allison untill early last year when they sold it off. So why would it not be an Allison?:confused::hammerhead: