Almost an acre

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by doctordun, Aug 21, 2007.

1. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'm tossing around the idea of offering my neighbors my mowing services. In my area, every lot is almost an acre. I would like to get a nice ZTR, because I am really tired of tractor mowers. I don't need to get rich, but would like to pay for my new mower and make some spending cash for toys.
    I've been thinking about $40 per cut, $50 if they need a lot of trimming and perhaps a monthly rate.
    Any ideas on a fair rate? With my tractor, I can mow my own yard in about 50 minutes. I am looking at a 60" ZTR.

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds low to me. How many lawns will you have to cut just to pay for that nice Z at $40 per visit?

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually charge around $50 for mowing weed eating and blowing, for an acre. sometimes more if it has more weedeating, then like $60 bucks. but never underbid anyone. you'll wish you hadn't along down the road. one time i priced a lawn for $50 bucks, it looked like an acre but stupid me didnt walk into there back yard only to find out the its 2 1/2 acres. so i cut it the first time when it was about 2 feet high, and broke my clutch in the process ruined a few blades from objects underneath the high grass that you cant see until you hear a loud bang and watch it fly out the discharge. then i finally got raise from $50 to $75 bucks. oh, and if you do get a ztr, get on used the first time. it will save lots of money. a 60" might be too large for those hard to reach spots, but go with whatever you think. bigger is not always better. thats why i got my 52", its not to big nor to small!

thanks and hope i helped

4. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Five per month. After that, it's gravy. I have a full time job, so this would be a late afternoon/evening and weekend endeavor.

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Since no travel is involved, $50 to $55 would be a good price which would include edging, string trimming, blowing down etc.

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I do half an acre for $55 bucks.. actually its only 22.000 sq ft. but I guess it depends on the machine you have and how fast you could get it done. I only got one yard that big but I can do it in 50 minutes now. THat's mulching and with a 36" toro no sulkey.

7. DillonsLawnCare

yeahh...but your in canada. your currency is different than ours in america.

well actually its not that much of a difference

55 Canadian dollars = 51.2677 U.S. dollars

my bad :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :dizzy:

8. Vikings

from canada

No you're right.. don't forget higher taxes and higher gas prices but even so, if that lawn was a full acre instead of less then a half then I better have a Z and no obstacles or at least obstacles that I could just run over:)

I really try to match the dollar a minute (non) rule. Even if I have to start cutting corners.

9. DillonsLawnCare

yeah.. thats right. what do you guys pay for gas up there??

10. Vikings

from canada

Last time I filled I paid $74 for 75 litres but I had a coupon :(

It's about $1.06 cents a litre unless it's gone up in the last few days. Thats about $4.30 a gallon.

AND WE GOT MORE OIL THEN SAUDI ARABIA WTF?!?!?!?