(ALMOST) at my wit's end!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by matthew horner, Sep 29, 2006.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

About 2 weeks ago, I had a hard time starting my mower. Hustler super z with a 25 horse kawasaki.

It appeared flooded.

I worked on that carb/problem for a week and a half. Sometimes it would start, most of the time it would not. I cleaned the carb, worked on it, replaced parts in it, etc etc etc etc etc.

It would not work correctly.

So- I ordered a new carb. A $300 carb, no less. I installed it, it worked one day great, and this morning, no start no start. I removed the breather tube and, guess what, I see gas sitting in there.

Remember, this is a new carb!

ANY IDEAS?????????????????:confused:

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

does it have spark when it doesn't want to start?

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I worked for a company that had a brand new dixie chopper that would take 15 minutes to start. Half the time it was the last mower into the shop and would hold up everyone while people tried to start it. Even the local dixie guys couldn't figure it out. Very hard starting in the mornings and had problems thoughout the day. Turns out there was not enough juice going to the spark plugs and all the cranking of the engine flooded it out. Starting fluid into the air cleaner worked until it was fixed

4. matthew horner

Yes it does. New plugs too.

5. matthew horner

the spark jumps a quarter inch to ground when I test it. I'm really getting held up with this machine. Plus, I wear the battery out each time.

6. khouse

i had to put a diode in the kill wire on a Ferris 3000 because there was some kind of feedback through it making it very hard to start. it starts everytime now. maybe you should unplug the kill wire and see if it works. i'm not sure on that model which one is the kill wire. restrorob may have a picture of it?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Look inside your spark plug boots for rust or corrosion on the connectors, I had a customer complain about the same problem. I was skeptical about replacing the connectors for a fix but the customer insisted so I did. He stopped in a week later and said his problem was solved.
    Just something to check, It worked for him. ;)

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You might want to bring it in to get looked at by a dealer mechanic that is certified to work on whatever brand engine you have on it.

9. matthew horner

Kill wire? Hmmm? I'm not famiar with that terminology.
    The plug boots and wire are very very clean. I'm getting 12 v everywhere I check too. When cranking, it goes down to about 9 or so.

10. khouse

on a full battery it shouldn't drop below 10.5 this could be that your battery has been discharged. it's possible that your starter has too much amp draw and is robbing voltage to your ignition. just another thing to check.