1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

almost burnt my 248B

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AMCAT, Aug 25, 2008.

1. AMCAT

AMCAT LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

The main positive wire on the CAT 248B broke at the starter causing it to arc till the battery was sucked dead the arcing caused a small fire in the engine compartment but caught it & extinguished it before any damage luckily.
    From my point of veiw the wire is to short and stiff thus causing it to break from viberation has anyone else had this prob ???
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Not yet, but that brings up a good pointer to look for now.
  3. Stick Pro

Stick Pro LawnSite Senior Member

i had the same prob on my 287b but the wire only broke in half on mine no arcking i did leve my trackor dead right in the middle of the homeowners driveway
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you guys do a morning inspection before you use the machine something like a cable breaking would be noticed :hammerhead:

Cat is probably using the cheapest grade copper wire you can get melting up US pennies :laugh:

Wire fires can be very distructive all it takes is a little shorting wire to catch some hydraulic oil etc on fire and you have a weenie roast on your hands :cry:
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My morning inspection includes grease, check fuel, water and hydro. I don't lift the cab and get that detailed. Not that it isn't a good idea, but I have work to do.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Ksss.....work? you're kidding aren't you? and here I thought that we bought all this stuff just to watch it take up space.......hmmmm, got to evaluate my game plan here.....seems like with a cloud or two in the sky and the thought of winter entering people's minds, the phone is starting to ring-a-ding-ding......
  7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is just engine oil check and git-in-an-git-er-dun.

My Boobcrap the sequence was as follows:
    Check oil, check for fuel leak in engine, check rads for debris, look under the machine for possible (always) leaks, start machine up, listen for odd noises, get out and start checking for leaks under the machine, check the sight gauge on the hydro tank, check exhaust pipe for possible money to be spitting out, get back in cab, check for all electrical functions, fart, burp, scratch myself, fart once more, open windows to vent, burp again, sniff my farts, then go to work, every hour check for oil spill as I drive around, piss up against the machine, fart while entering the cab, scratch and re-adjust my junk and the process goes on and on. :dizzy:
  8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember to observe Norwegian labor law...

You do not work in the rain or work in the sun.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You mean you have to lift the cab to see anything on a Power Tan machine :laugh:

Every morning I would check the oil water, tug on the fan belts look for bleeding from the engine and close the hood on the machine.

Greasing was always done at the end of the day so the machine is greased and ready to go the next morning.
  10. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

You just proved one of my points about the Cat. Easy engine accessibility translates into easier preventative maintenance.

Everybody has work to do. But you can't do it if you have a breakdown because something didn't get caught, because the machine wasn't inspected, because it was too much trouble to inspect it. (ie. lifting the cab):hammerhead: