Almost Crapped my Pants

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 15, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Today i was out mowing an account thats beside this really run down apartment in town. They have a huge rottwiler mix on a chain in the yard and it ignored me till I stepped off my Proslide and checked under a few trees. When it saw me walking it started barking like crazy and charged me showing its teeth.. I wasnt too worried till it reached the end of its chain and snapped its collar in half :eek: There was about 20 feet between me and the dogs chain and i swear I almost lost that pair of tighty whities. The good news is when it reached me he did some sniffing then was friendly as anything. Does anyone carry mace spray with them or anything for dogs?

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I always carry my colt 45 just for a case like that

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Wilson CQB...........

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have taken off running with my crappy pants in hand

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hmmm, I wonder if that is a Rotty thing. My Rott. deff. does not like anybody walking, and has broken chains, cables, leather collars, ect. (anything I ever put her on) to try to get at them. (150+lbs)

Decided to move since alot of school children walked by everyday.

Oh....ALWAYS carry my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 (everywhere!)

6. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I have heard that pepper spray does not work on dogs because they do not have tear ducts.:cry:

My 6" blade on my side works wonders though!!!:rolleyes:

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You carry a .45 when you weedeat? Seems like a hassle to me.

8. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I have a German/American mix Rottwiler. I have two stakes buried into the ground and a 150' cable connected between them with a pulley attached to it and her chain. This setup lets me just mow over top of the cable with no problems. The dog can run from one end of the yard to the other. The electric meter reader maced her once and it just whizzed her off. It whizzed me off also and I ran him off. For the meter is no where near where the dog can reach (at least 20' away). Now she hates anyone in uniform and lets them know it.

No way would I ever think that mace would save my asz from a charging dog. One of those electric phazers but not mace.

9. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Do you guys really wear guns on the job?? Thats unheard of up here unless its hunting season of course (but it would be rifles.. and not on the job)we have really strict gun control. I knew that Texas allows firearms but whats it like in the rest of the US?

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea pepper spray works on them. I have a chihuahua (spelling?) and a mini pincher, both dogs are a whopping 10 lbs each and this guy felt the need to spray them while they were on chains and i ran over to kick the s### out of the guy for doing it and he sprayed me too, the dogs were rolling around sneezing and stuff so i thought the guy had kicked them or shot them but then i saw the can. Nasty stuff