almost flipped z-turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fergman, Jun 28, 2007.

1. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i was mowing a very steep bank that was on a hillside. i got to the top and was backing down slowly and the front end barely came up. i barely pulled back more on the sticks and the front wheels went into a small hole and when the front tires came out it was to late. the front of the mower was straight up in the air before i realisid that it wasnt going to set back down. the roll bars were in the bottom notch so they were down all the way. the end of the rollbars was pressed against the ground and the mower finally quit moving. the floor piece that covers the pulleys came off and flew over my head. i rolled out of the seat backwards and fell on the ground. if it wasnt for the bars i would have been crushed. i tried to get the sticks back to neutral out to the sides so i could jump off but the motion of the mower made it impossible. i was so fortunate to still be alive. ive seen z-turns without rollbars even installed and if i was on one of those i wouldnt be alive. ive mowed that bank 20 or more times in the same tracks but this time made it the last ill ever do it. from now on if its something that steep or NEAR that steep ill use the walk-behind instead of being stupid. i used to have a state of mind that no matter what happens i will be able to do something and ill be ok. but for the fourth time in my life i was reminded that there is not always something that you can do. oh yeah... the mower i was on was a 60in ultracut exmark 31hp.

2. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

That would scare the $$$$ out of me! I'm glad to hear you're OK, but please be careful out there!

I hope all the recent posts about landscapers getting hurt will get folks thinking about thier own safety.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad to hear you came out of it ok.

ZTR's are not made for hills, that is what a walk behind is for. You will never catch me on a hill with my lazer.

4. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Just the other day I posted about never having any serious accidents. Well, as Murphy's Law would have it, two days later I was mowing some alfalfa when I noticed a clump of uncut grass that had got mushed down and couldnt be cut. So, while I was sitting on the mower, I tried to kick it up with my foot. I was still moving slightly backwards and the drive tire of my mower caught the bottom of my jeans and pulled my toes under the deck. I was very lucky (despite my stupidity) because I stopped the mower in time with no more than a couple scuffs on the toe of my boot. But it sure got my adrenaline going.

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I almost rolled the tractor the day after all that mess with the lawyer on here. Scared the poo out of me. Was bush hogging in the woods and ran over a stump with one tire and the other one fell down in a small hole. Almost made me crap myself.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

fergman....I'm just glad you are here to report what happened. An Angel must have been on your shoulder. Best wishes, american

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually find my self getting in a pickle when I rush too much.

8. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

been there.... it'll certainly wake you up in the morning!

keep safe man

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

And that aint no small mower, glad you made it out ok.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Whoa! Glad to hear you weren't injured. All these stories of rollovers, etc, are making me a bit nervous. How steep was the slope you were mowing? I've done that many times, "mowing up, creeping down backwards" and never felt I was in any danger. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyhow, if you have any pictures of the slope, I, for one, would love to see them. I don't have a ROPS on my new mower, but maybe I should consider buying one.