Almost go into a fight today(I WIN)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 10, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My morning started out great. Went out to mow a new customer. Took my time, so I wouldnt mess anything up. As I was blowing off a black f150 towing a black inclosed. I said to myself damn nice stuff. He pulls out a brand new looking Xmark and starts mowing. Me using my lil hand held blower took me alittle longer then If I still had my backpak.

Well this ******* walks up to me and says " Go out and buy some real equiptment. You wont get anywhere with that POS hand held."
    I shut it off and dropped it. I told him he has 3 seconds to get out of my face. He says "what are you gonna do"? "Blow me away with your little blower"?
    I said nah, Ill let you screw yourself. I then explained to him why I was using my lil hand held(backpak got stolen cant afford a new 1). Then I pointed my finger towards the home he was mowing and said "thats how you will screw yourself" He turned around and saw his customer sitting on his Lazer:dancing:

The customer asked him if thats how he treats his fellow lawn guys. The lawn guy said(giggles) No not usually but look at what he is blowing off with.

Then the customer came to me and asked why I was using a hand held. I told him my backpak was stolen and this was all I could afford at the time. He asked me if I wanted to mow his lawn.
    I honestly told him I would love to maintaine your yard, but not in this kind of situation. I said call me in a couple weeks after you fire the rich lawn mower.

He asked me for a price... Now I did all this with the other lawn guy still there.
    Gave him a price He said thats $20 more than him. But start in 2 weeks the yard your doing looks great.

I looked at the other lawn guy and said I hope you learned a lesson. And walked away with a smile.

Im not done yet.

After the guy is done mowing (I was trimming some hedges) He came to me and said he was sorry. I told him that I accept. We shook hands. I then stared alittle on him. I said you know, guy like you come and go eveyday around here. You go and out yourself way in debt before you have any kind of work. I said look at the stuff I have. Its alittle old looking right? He said yeah.I said now look at the job it still does. He looked and said looks pretty dam good. I then said everything you see is paid for and is still making me money. I asked him how many accounts he has. He said around 30. I took my shades off and said 30? You mean you had to hire someone to help you with 30 accounts? I shook my head and said your lazy! He said why because I can afford someone and you cant. I said no. Thats a extra 2 or 300 dollars I could be putting into savings or something.

I got back on my ladder and told him, I hope the next guy you judge Knocks you out.
    Have a good day

Yes this happened to me today. I may not have 30 accounts YET, But I would never judge a fellow LCO just because he doesnt use what everyone else uses.
    By the way I start next Thursday on the new customer.

Chad

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

you handled that great and got a new customer out of it..way ta go!!!

3. ChadsLawn

Years ago I would have punched the guy. But I learned alot being a stoer manager with a big corp. I stayed calm and let him f-up all himself.

Thanks for the comp.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You handled it great! As far as Im concerned...that guy gives us a bad name! But jerks like that are everywhere in every aspect of life. I have no debt on equipment...worked for everything and had it paid for. You'll be cutting grass next year...and he'll be selling his crap on craigslist. Dont sweat it! But I can tell you...if he had done that to me...he'd have been a walking billboard for echo...cause that label would have been tattooed on his damn face.

5. ChadsLawn

The reason why I didnt nothing was, I saw his customer walking outside towards us. So I was being the better person. Plus I was being smarter. I didnt know of my customer was home or not also.

6. WJW Lawn

No Im serious...you handled it perfectly. The guy was a jerk. Anybody who acts like that...will most likely fail. You just witnessed him get one step closer! Good for you!

7. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

That has to be the coolest and funniest thing I've heard of. What a stupid lco!!!:hammerhead: congrads on the new job. Luckily you know how to keep your temper at bay, if was me yes I would have kicked the s**t out of the guy.

8. WJW Lawn

Here's a good question....WHY DO THAT???? lol I mean...my dad runs a construction business....you never hear about other contractors going on his site and saying "You use DeWalt?" .... "Well I use Mikita...go buy some real equipment" lol Its just stupid!!

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Is that you Bobby?

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

You handled that quite well. There are a few that could stand to learn a thing or two from this.