Almost got shot while edging!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LightningLawns, Mar 19, 2005.

1. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

2 months ago, my helper was edging a property and I heard a loud bang, he stopped and I stopped and he said he didn't know what happend. So I didn't think to much about it, thought maybe it was the blade hitting the concrete or something. Today I am doing the same property and as i'm blowing off I find a small .22 caliber hollow point laying near the edge with a fresh knick on casing (happend today) so I wonder how many more are down in the edge. What would you guys do?

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Wear body armor.....LOL :rolleyes:

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

He's obviously not a very good shot to miss twice (that you know of), so you shouldnt worry too much. In all seriousness, do you have any idea where it came from? Try going over if you can and see if some neighbor has a pesky kid or something thats trying to be funny. Nothing says problem solved like getting the parents involved. And if the parents dont care, Im sure the police would help.

Kevin

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, re-read the first post. No one is shooting, there have been shells spilled on the property.

Tell the owner of the property, for one thing. Refuse to edge the area, for another.

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok this may open a can of worms here but,if your edging then you will not hear any 22 being shot.they sound like a firecracker going off.,You heard a bang well maybe a car backfired a 22 doesn't make a loud bang.And if your guy was wearing a headgear while edging he wouldn't have heard anything.22 get used in Concrete work so maybe the shells happened to be there from work being done..and remeber one thing it's the one you dont hear that gets you

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Hollowpoints are seldom used in concrete work.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Have been years since I purchased any ammo. Can you tell from casing that it is a hollow point? Concrete nail drivers do use .22 casings, of course no projectile. Is there a marking on casing that could show this use as well? Maybe local police, or state police could inform you of such info.

Besides that, I would for sure inform property owner of situation. Ask if they have a .22 or have had use of ammo. Maybe shooting vermen and dropped some ammo? Maybe they had some use for a nail driver in a recent remodel inside that you are unaware of and they spilled some driver charges outside? I would be weary of edging as well, until answer is found. If concrete has no rebar, then you might use a metal detector to investigate area for anymore.

Be careful !!!!!

8. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

Go back with a metal detector and search the area for more shells :angel:

9. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I heard the shot from across the street on another yard while cutting grass with the mower, no head gear on. It was definately a .22 for a gun since I found one with the head still on it, thats how I know its a hollow point. Good idea to get a metal detector out and check for others. But should I do that? or should the home owner. I don't want to edge that area until i'm certain there isn't anymore.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would just tell the homeowner that you can't do it anymore until the casings are picked up. Or offer to pick them up, but at an additional charge