Almost indestructible

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The head survived the cement truck, but the saddle tee and the poly pipe underneath did not.

brasspopupbuckner1.jpg

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It might have survived with a real swing joint. :p

3. Wet_Boots

Swing joints weren't on the menu when that relic was installed. Marlex elbows were yet to be. One lesson learned a generation later - use a brass nipple to connect the brass popup, and the head can survive the cement trucks of the world. Another one on a poly cutoff nipple suffered a bent tailpiece.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Is that a Buckner head?

5. Wet_Boots

Good eye. I accidentally erased the good photo I took, but you might make out the Buckner name on the bottom, and the Royal Coach name on top.

brasspopupbuckner2.jpg

6. That is actually the worse brass head I've ever installed. It had o-rings on the stem and they would keep the head stems from having proper movement.

7. Wet_Boots

Au contraire - the Royal Coach head (created when Buckner was still owned by Johns Manville) was all brass, and stayed that way after they bought back the Buckner rights, and added the Buckner name and '403HP' part number to the head. The RC tailpiece had a shape that better allowed it to work with sch 80 nipples.

The W*M 33 popup body was all-brass, and good because of it, but sported an O-ring in its final days. Supposedly the production tooling had worn down, and they didn't want to pay to retool, so toss in the O-ring.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

How many of us have that slotted brass key to remove the body anymore?

9. Wet_Boots

Don't we all have one? Buckner sold an iron head wrench that had an open-ended wrench-end that fit the Buckner nozzles.

Wonder if anyone still has Thompson spanner wrenches for their monster rotors.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Still have mine tucked away in the truck somewhere.