almost lost all my equipment!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Jun 8, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I have forgot to lock my trailor twice in the last month and i dont know how i am so lucky the one time i hit rough railroad tracks at 45 mph and the trailor still stayed on. the chains and lights were hooked up but i forgot to close the tongue part and lock it. i have heard of people losing trailors i guess i am lucky i wont dorget anymore though the only reason i probaly didnt lose them was becasue i felt excess jerking and later hooked them up.:rolleyes:

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

use a padlock. when my trailer is on my vehicle or not i use a padlock, it makes me remember to lock it down and also deter's theft.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I always use a padlock. I have a friend who never even puts a hitch pin threw the coupler. He'd feel pretty bad if his trailer came unhooked because he didn't use a 25ยข piece of hardware.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Anything that i hook up behind the truck gets some type of pin or padlock ALWAYS. If the trailer does come undone and kills someone i think thats classified under death by motor vehicle which can all be solved by a $.25 pin as said above.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit wasting time telling us about it and do something positive about it. Being as you seem to be forming a habit, it's very likely you'll do it again.
    On occasion, I've been parked facing away from my garage, with everything hooked up and ready to roll. I just merrily walk out the door, get in vehicle, and drive off, leaving garage door wide open with .... I don't want to think about what was left inside for the world to take to the pawn shop.
    Now, I've a one inch tall, dayglo orange, label that reads "CLOSE THE GARAGE DOOR DUMMY?" On my dashboard.
    Never left it open again, but can't tell you how many times I've made the block cause I didn't make a conscious note when I did close the door.
    Best Wishes and Good Memory

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Also, while hooking up the trailer (thats how its spelled), I never let ANYTHING interrupt me. I always hook everything up at one time.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's crazy.

And Bob, YOU have the right idea as well. I have the same policy. If the trailer is being hooked up, you do NOT step away from it until everything is COMPLETE!

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I, on occassion, have left things on the bumper or even left the trimmers unlocked on the rack. I make a concious effort before I step in the truck to just look around and think. :)

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

when the hitch goes on the ball the pin goes in on my trailer. But sometimes I get that little voice that says I don't think you closed the coupler. I always double check it and make sure my trailer lights are working.

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't tell ya how many times I have pulled into a parking lot just to make sure I hooked everything up just right. I did it once last week and discovered my 2nd set of keys on the trucks bumper. That would not have been fun to loose.