almost perfect lawn. how to

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, Aug 20, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I've seen some of the lawn that has perfectly leveled and grass is always green and also no taller than 1/2".
    I assume that is some kind of sport turf or burmuda grass.

So my questions are:

1. how do u level that un even yard in to perfect flat?
    2. are those special grass?
    3. what machine do they use?

If you have one of those yard (near perfect look) I want to know your year around service.

Please help me.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My bet is it's zoysia you're seeing.Sanding zoysia works wonders for maintaining a smooth level surface.As for the green,I'd say liquid iron.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

these are the general grass types (that I know of) that are usually cut short. seashore paspalum, ( only of you live in southern texas),
    hybrid bermuda, tiffway and zoysia.

1. if your yard is really bumpy i would rototill it and then level it with a 50 lb roller. if its not to bumpy you could try filling in the dips by cutting the grass to about one inch and then putting sand in the uneven areas untill its level.

2. answered at the top of the post.

3. they most likely use a greens mower or a reel mower.

I do have one of those "close to perfect" lawns and believe me it's
    a lot of work to keep it looking like that.

I mow every 2 to 3 days. fertilizing every 1 1/2 to 2 months. verticutting every 6 to 8 months, treating for weeds when needed (it doesn't need it much), topdressing with sand once a year. I sure that there's many more things that I do to it but can't quite remember them off hand.

here's a link to the kind of grass that I have in my yard.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&svnum=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&sa=N

here's a pic of what it looks like when cut with a greens mower.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

sorry I forgot the picture.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe be centipede?

6. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

Thanks TClawn.
    By the way, nice place to live and work:)

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I doubt it's centipede.Centipede is a lighter green than bermuda or zoysia.Also,the seed heads of centipede wouldn't quite make it a perfect lawn and it doesn't hide imperfections as well as zoysia.:)

8. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

TCLawn nailed it.

Tiff 419 bermuda is the most common "golf course" type of grass people use down here.

It is challenging to maintain...but, can be extremely rewarding both financially and aesthetically. IF you get a customer willing to put the time and money into doing it right.