1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Almost smoked a 25 Kohler today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing general maintenance today on my new Grasshopper. Doing a 40 hr oil and filter change. everything went as normal, 2 quarts of oil and new filter and away I went........ Then all hell broke loose.... .It blew the seal on the oil filter and oil went everwhere. I quickly turned the engine off to discover a freakin mess for starters. Then upon further review of this screwed situation I found that the old oil filter gasket had stuck to the block when I removed the old filter. With both gaskets on there the pressure was too much. So I put additional oil in and away to the car wash in attempt to clean the oil off of everything.

I learned a lesson from this and will never forget and hope that someone reading this may also learn from my unfortunate experience. Double check when changing filters. It may save you some time and a new engine..
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Very kind of you to post. I could do that, especially in the evening. Thanks for the info.
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

A close call for sure. Quick thinking saved that one.
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

rasco today, waved, as we were sitting side by side at the red light at 51 hiway, guess you were on the way to clean your mess up...and didn't see me, kenny. Guess you will watch out for that gasket from now on....
  5. Blades of Steel

Hey Kenny.

I saw you after the light turned green. Yout turned right as I was turning left. I was on the way to drop off the help and head to the hosienda for the night.

The accident happened in the morning and I had already cleaned the mess and workrd the balance of the day. It was a close call and I learned something from it. The deal was where the gasket is. It is so dark in there and you really can't see unless you get right down on it. I have changed oil in everything from semi's to mowers and this was the first time a gasket had ever came off the filter and stuck to the block. Oh well.... Live and learn. I just thought someone might learn something from my mishap....

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Blades of Steel there are always warnings about making sure the old filter gasket doesnÂ’t stick to the block in most owners manuals but this the first time I have heard of it happening. Glad to hear that everything turned out ok.

7. I did that once changing the oil in my car, what a mess! Lesson learned though.
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The same thing happened to me after doing an oil change on my father's Oldsmobile about 35 years ago.

A mechanic once told me to use the old oil filter to apply oil to the new filter's gasket. That way you always make sure the old gasket has been removed.
  9. Blades of Steel

WHen is the last time you read your owners manual before doing an oil change. I am sure I read it and like most.. Said, no SH&T!!! and moved on. I realize it is in the manual, it was one of those things that happen and you learn from it..