Almost time for Primo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Apr 16, 2002.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

It's so warm in CT right now, I'll make the 2nd mowing here at the house before the week is over. Pretty early in the year for this kind of growth in this area. Probably will hit 85 degrees today.

So by the end of next week, I'll spray the high profile areas with 6-8 oz of Chelated Iron, .75 oz of Primo, & 2 oz of Touche (now limited to golf & commercial use) Fungicide to set the turf up for a "high maintenance twice weekly mowing look" with only once weekly mowing.

Anyone else take this approach on high quality turf areas? What have you thought?

Steve

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Looking into this now. I have taken several new customers that were served by others LOC's at the first of the year. Their grass is growing like crazy, way too fast!!

At $433 a gallon I am trying to drum up enough business to cover the cost up front.

I have an email ready to send to all my customers, I was looking for some photos of treated v/s not treated grass to show the difference. I seen them somewhere but I can't find them, anyone know where they are?

RAy

3. jmarkwood

jmarkwood LawnSite Member

What is the availability of Primo in smaller sizes and the costs?

Where are you buying it?

PGR tests show Proxy increasing density but lacking color; Primo not enhancing density but increasing color.

4. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I will start with Proxy TOMMOROW!!!:cool: It's stopped raining....I forgot how much it isn't fun to mow wet lawns.
    I pay around $80 per 2.5 gal.
    There is NO price on 87% reduction in clippings!:cool:

5. tremor

Primo used to come in quarts. Now gallons are the small package.
    The rate I use yields about $2.50/M @ .75oz/M & clippings are cut in half for at least 4 maybe 6 weeks. This would put the cost in the same league as common Grub Control products. The reason for mixing Primo with other products (like herbicides) is so the client pays for at least the labor aspect of the application. The iron helps darken the turf, though this happens naturally since the chloroplasts are concentrated into shorter cells. Iron has been used to offset the phyto of lesser PGR's in the past, but I've yet to see Primo cause damage to actively growing turf at rates as high as 2.5X.
    The expense to the applicator is more than made up for by the fact that mowing goes easier & there is a direct & positive impact on turf quality too.

Steve

6. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I like the idea of Primo....but $$$$$$$
    Proxy has the same AI...I understand, anyway. It also causes the inter-nodal properties to change w/o yellowing like say Embark.
    Another bene to these type of regs is the less water and fert usage, plus HARDER cell membranes. Fungi have to break the cell wall to enter.....
    It's a brave new world!:)

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

grounsguy1970,
    Who makes this Proxy growth regulator??? I have used both Primo and Embark. Did'nt like the yellowing from Embark and Primo is just way too expensive. I have a few mowing accounts that need slowed down. They are out of control due to last weeks heat and rain. Any help would be great. Thanks!! ED

8. tremor

Proxy was from Chipco which is now Aventis.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Library/..\docs\label\L47005.PDF

We sell Proxy as a special order but I havent used it. I've never sold it either. Only the Golf Courses on a budget around here are using it that I know of. Proxy is Ethophon 21.7% & carries a Danger label. Aventis has some weird language on this lable that would imply they don't want it used on home lawns. I have heard Aventis rep's making this statement. I'd ask a state regulatory person for clarification on this language before I risked the farm on it. For the economic savings, I see the appeal, but a few fines from the old DEP/DEC would probably offset the savings. It's a real threat in the liberal state of New York.

Primo @ .75oz/M = $2.50/M
    Proxy @ 5 oz/M = $1.25/M

Primo was developed by the former Novartis, now Syngenta (I think). The active is not the same. Trinexapac 11.3% only carries a Caution label & is not corrosive. It is true that both prducts are GA inhibitors. So both should work the same way. But clearly, they are not the same product.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Library/..\docs\label\L47857.PDF

Steve

9. The snake oil salesman and chemical industry lackey strikes again!!!

If the cost of the product alone is over $100 per acre one could just cut the dam grass twice for $50 per mowing and you still be ahead of the game.

As far as clipping reduction is concerned if you have good lawn mowers it does not matter. In fact since I use 100% chemical fertilizers so I want to be able to return as much clippings back to the soil for this is the way I apply organic matter and recycle about a 1+lb. of N per year.

I could see where this product could be useful in small hard to maintain areas but to use it on a grand scale it is not cost effective.

BTW Steve your 25-5-10 w/40% coated N and 1.25%FE has given a lovely spring application at a rate of 25K sq ft per bag.

10. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I can understand on someone from your zone making that statement. We mow year-round here....we mow in the rain. The reduction in clippings allows us to do more while doing less,thus saving time. Reg'd grass has a harder cell wall....less fungi penetration. I use regs in spring and fall....you can even skip a mow. You guys out east need all the mows you can get....it gets old here mowing 40 times + a year. We can't mulch our clippings all the time here because it's too wet & cold for them to compost. The time I save on spending $100 acre allows me to double my production with less work.....:)
    It only makes sense when you go from per mow to contracts.
    Dump fees alone is a savings too- plus mower wear and tear.....
    Regs Rule!!!:cool: