Alot of questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DeeJayy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. DeeJayy

DeeJayy LawnSite Member

I've been mowing grass for about 4 years now, I'm only 16 by the way. I've always taken pride in my work and have about 3 accounts around my neighborhood, nothing big, just neighbors. Ok so I have alot of questions so stick with me please
    - What brand of equipment would you guys recommend? Or is it the Chevy vs. Dodge thing where everyone has their opinions?
    - How much should you spend on equipment when you first start out and what do you think the basics are besides a tractor and a weed wacker.
    - Whats the difference between a Landscape Contractor and a Landscape company? Is there any difference? I only ask this because it had options when you first sign up for this forum.
    - What do you think is the best way to advertise? Is it worth the extra money to make a website and everything?
    I'm sure I'll have more questions but thanks again for the help and thanks for sticking with me

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

- Doesn't really matter, pick one and stick to it, Stihl and Toro for me.
    > The reason for loyalty is more than redneckery, it's about gaining the intimate knowledge for the machines that comes in handy later... Such as what to do when it craps out, every brand has different quirks, brand loyalty pays off in that sense.

As for a truck?
    The best value 3/4 ton my money can buy, that one.
    Performance comes long before luxury and cosmetics, the better it runs the worse it can look, but that's just me.

- At least 5g, 8 is better.

- I think it boils down to a preference, some Lco's swear by flyers, others word of mouth, there is no such thing as best... What works for one of us may or may not work for the next guy, newspaper ads have done well for me. The Web site is an add on I would consider in later years, kind of like business cards it helps but I think a Web site alone wouldn't do (thou a few here do well that way)...

You're welcome, for whatever it's worth.

3. DeeJayy

DeeJayy LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply. At least now I have a general idea at least.

4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I am 17, for now I use hond 21" (Great mowers) Echo handhelds, STihl CHainsaws. I got all my customers by word of mouth, but I am trying some flyers this year. I have a 1/2ton truck, but depending on what you all all doing find a decent 3/4ton that you can afford.:waving:Brad

5. DeeJayy

DeeJayy LawnSite Member

Like about the mower should I get like a push one or a craftsman or something till I get some money saved up?

6. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how big are your lawns?

7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

I've been mowing grass for about 4 years now, I'm only 16 by the way. I've always taken pride in my work and have about 3 accounts around my neighborhood, nothing big, just neighbors. Ok so I have alot of questions so stick with me please

- What brand of equipment would you guys recommend? Or is it the Chevy vs. Dodge thing where everyone has their opinions?

Reliable and cost effective.. i run a gmc vandura 3500 on a maintence level
    a ford dump for evertyhing else

- How much should you spend on equipment when you first start out and what do you think the basics are besides a tractor and a weed wacker.

I did a thread that showed a full commercial setup for under 6000 dollars
    Don't overspend untill you have accounts.

Lots of hand tools... you can get by at 16 with rakes and shovels a cheaper edger is a good buy,don't forget to add a few critical spares into your budget.
    A 36' walk behind is one tool that i think its almost impossible to not find a use for....Untill you get estimating distances and land down.... a mesuring wheel is not a bad tool

- Whats the difference between a Landscape Contractor and a Landscape company? Is there any difference? I only ask this because it had options when you first sign up for this forum.

IN NY everyones a landscaper....even people that thing grade is something they got at school. If you mow and blow i thing you do lawn maintenance.... no shame in that just be what you are

- What do you think is the best way to advertise?
    Do a good job, Talk to anyone who will listen, try to sell your product to anyone you meet

Is it worth the extra money to make a website and everything?
    It dosn't hurt... but won't make or break you

I'm sure I'll have more questions but thanks again for the help and thanks for sticking with me

Good luck and read the threads...search them too... anything your pondering has been beat to death here at least twice

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Start off with a 21", Unless you have huge lawns. Honda makes very good engines go honda or toro for the mower. If you can get self propelled it helps. You don't have to get top of the line, but I would definitely get Honda or Toro. Just my 2cents

9. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

if you want to realy get in it then here is what i would say to do (from experience)....buy a good self propelled push mower, get a echo weedwacker (there are better but echo is the cheaper of the good ones), and get a good edger. I prefer i stick edger but walk behinds work well. and then a hand held echo blower. then nock the heck out of every chance you can to get an account. Get around 20-30 accounts and then buy a 36" walk behind. I prefer hydro but belt drives work great and are cheaper. After you get some more acounts (around 40). then buy either a larger walk behind or a rider/stand. something like a 52". then you will have both the 36 to get through gates, and the 52(or larger) to get larger areas. Just keep working and start adding employees and more equipment as the accounts start rollin in. Thats basicly what i have done and had Great success out of it.....

10. DeeJayy

DeeJayy LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for the help everybody. So what are the ZTR's for? Like huge companies or would you just use that instead of a walk behind?