Already aerating??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by polecat63, Aug 29, 2003.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Was just wondering if Chem-Lawn, Lawn Doctor...etc. were already doing aeration and seeding in your area. It's in the 90's here and no rain for two weeks, and they are seeding fescue lawns. And if I know C-L , The Doctor and most other national companies they are overseeding with some rye mixed in. These people have no scruples.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Polecat

Did you ever consider that their work load demands that they start early.

I did about 1/3 of ours last week.

If they have irrigation, you can core at anytime.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If the work load demands it, but the conditions are not favorable, it's the customer that loses out in getting the service at the wrong time.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

mtd

How is the customer lossing out?

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I am sure that if you gave the customer a choice between performing a service at the most benefical time for the grass, or when it fits into your busy schedule, they'd take the grass. It shouldn't be a matter of when it's best for you, but when it's best for the lawn.

I'm not directing this at you in particular, Glan. I wouldn't comment on an operation or conditions of which I have no understanding. But I see many LCOs just out doing the work no matter what, with no regard to whether or not it is helping the lawn. For example, Chem Lawn fertilized one of my customer's neighbors on the same day she had half her yard torn apart by the city fixing her water mains. What the heck was the point in fertilizing a yard in that condition? Chem Lawn's explanation was that "It was on the schedule". That's great, but the neighbor was so pissed she dropped Chem Lawn. Great business practices there.

Sure, a guy's gotta make a buck. But when you put your considerations in front of whether or not it will help the lawn, it's the customer that will get screwed. They are getting a service or product when they don't need it or when it won't do the best for the lawn. I always try to be as flexible as I can with the considerations of the customer in mind when I schedule services.

6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Glan just said that if it is irrigated, than anytime is a good time.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If it is 90 and dry, I certainly wouldn't core aerate. I have seeded my own lawn in hot weather and got decent results but I watered frequently. TG/CL is a big operation and they do what they want, losing a couple customers doesn't really matter because people recognize the name and there are 10 new customers for every one that leaves.
    I offer personal service but that is my business. I am a small operation. It would be a different story if I was doing volume. Grass will grow in almost any weather if the right conditions are given to it.

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

If the soil is moist enough to pull a 2.5" core yes it's fine. But most of these big Co.s tell the customer to water right before (which they don't) even if they did it would not be sufficient in most cases. Then the LCO comes out and plugs nickles. $80 wasted. If turf is still dormant then you haven't fulfilled the aerate while turf is activly growing requirement.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not aerating here yet. Even though this is the mildest August we have experienced, still not going to start aerating in Aug.
    We're probably only going to end up with about 40 aerations, maybe a few more added to that when a homeowner sees us and calls us over to do theirs also.... but it's still not enough aerations to warrant starting in August.

10. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know about where you all live but here it's just too damn hot. I have several customers that insist on using CL and DO NOT have irrigation. The were areated and seeded last week. CL never said they need to water and the high nitrogen fert they apllied has stressed the fescue already there. Now the lawns look like c r a p and they have asked that I not mow for a week or two. Morons are costing me money. 95% of my properties are fescue and even with irrigation most fescue seed will not germinate with it this hot. Up until now it has been so wet here that many lawns have brown patch and dollar spot. Dumping fert. on those is definately not in the best interest of the client.