Already getting calls from new LCO's pretending to be customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Mar 3, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Had 2 people call today. First one asks how much would I charge for a 1 acre lot. Told him I would have to see it, asks if I charge by the hour or by the acre. Said it depends, and told him I would come look at it and inquired where he lives. He mentioned a subdivsion that I service (very high end), I mentioned I had another estimate to do out there and could swing by today, asked for his address, long pause, then he hung up. I knew more then likely he didnt live there he sounded very young and this million dollar homes. Just by the questions he was asking you could tell he was digging for information. Funny thing is if would have just come out and said, Hey I'm starting lawn mowing this year can you give me some pricing guidlines and I would have helped him out. Other call was pretty identicle you can just tell when the call isnt serious.

2. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

I glad you would be honest. It helps the legit guys keep prices where they are suppose to be.

3. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Got one of those today too.Young voice and wanted to know how much per hour for a cleanup job.Told i dont quote over the phone but was very persistant so i said ......are you starting a lawnmowing business?
    He said YES! I said well if you want some help why didnt you just ask? Just spent an hour on the phone to him tonight steering him in the right direction and hes coming out working on tuesday to show him how i do things.
    He wont be competition for me so why not help out those that need it.
    Saves us all from lowballers and those that shouldnt be out there doing it.
    STUART

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If we teach these "up and coming" guys the right way from the start, we will all be better off in the long run. If we show them that they can make more money by charging the right prices, instead of lowballing, and the importance on being licensed and insured, it will lower the number of scrubs out there.

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

you would think these guys would at least hire their grandmothers to make these calls. in the last 2 weeks, i've had 4. the transparency was pretty amusing, especially when i do reverse look-ups on their phone numbers. one called from his lco's number that he lists in his ad.

i realize there are many guys in their 20's who are not physically able to mow their lawns, but it seems like those "customers" are the only ones who like to call in february... ;)

6. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

So when you take the guy out with you do you pay him as an employee or just consider your knowledge payment enough?