1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Already in misery again (help)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well some of you know I was on here last fall complaining of arm pain from trimming. The old thread is here if it matters.

Anyways, my arms were killing me from the elbows down with tendon pain.
    I pretty much accepted the fact it is tendonitis and tennis elbow.

But man, I'm starting to hurt like crazy... and it's early on in the spring, not October. So something has got to give and at this point, I think I might just have to bench the Stihl stuff and try something else.

I need to figure out if it is the severity of the condition, the effect of using the same equipment so long, or if I have developed bad holding habits over time. But in either case, I think I'm gonna have to change equipment to find out.

I'm having a lot more trouble with the throttle hand. The throttle trigger is getting to be hard on me too. I don't know if I am just worn down or if maybe the throttle is a little stiffer since then new carb was installed.... But I think I need to go to a different handle shape and an easy throttle trigger OR BETTER YET, a trimmer with a throttle lock that I can set. It will also have to be very smooth vibration wise...

So what am I looking for here guys?
    Non oval () handle shape
    Eazy trigger with trimming speed trigger lock
    Super low vibration

Also, should I be looking at the flyweights? Like the entry level light trimmers?

I don't know... all I do know is something has got to give here. It's not uncommon for me to run this equipment in excess of an hour continously, and I can be miserable and laying awake nights because my arms hurt to the point I can't sleep....

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a job for Redmax very high quality equipment.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

OK, so does RedMax cover all my criteria?
    (heck I've never checked a trimmer for throttle lock)

And which particular RedMax units should I put on my list to check out?
  4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it does sound like tendonitis. I had some of the same pain as you describe when I first started in the business, but luckily it went away with time.

I know it is discouraging since you had the winter to let the arm rest and recuperate but only to find now that the pain is back.

Yeah, sounds to me like you need to make a drastic change in your equipment. Some or all of the Sthils have lock on the trigger don't they? I know one of my smaller ones does and I think the 4mix does, I just never use the lock.

Maybe you could try one of the homeowner models, I know some of them are so light you can actually hold and operate it with one hand. I know this is not what you want to do, but it may be your only way to get relief.

The only other thing I can think of is medication. The anti-inflammatory drugs do wonders for some people. I have osteo-arthritis and I take a 15mg Mobic every am and then have to lie down for about 45 minutes before it takes effect.

I hope you can find relief because working like you are is gonna make a long summer. Good luck.
  5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

why don't you buy thhe lightest homeowner model you can find. of corse i would stick with the major brands
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Stihl has a throttle lock, but it's just a "star position" type thing.
    You can't set it at any speed you want or anything near a trimming speed.

So you guys think maybe weight is a major factor? I guess I could go to a light commercial model. Straight shaft and smooth. I've never been able to tolerate the vibration from curved shaft homeowner models. Not even back when I started as a kid.

Maybe it's a good time to go ahead and get that 8 pound Robin NB20 I've been wanting to try for so long, or maybe like an Echo 210 or 230. Something lighter like that. (not excluding other brands, just not familiar with weight)
  7. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

cortisone shot in the elbow worked for me now for 3 years
  8. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried using the shoulder strap? It takes up on some of the weight but not as user friendly as with out, just a thought. I was looking at a Dolmar trimmer a few weeks ago and that thing was very light, like 8.3 lbs!! It was very smooth running. I don't think I have ever seen a throttle lock on any trimmer, Probably a safety issue.
  9. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

instead of trying new equipment, what about going to see a doctor. a family member dealt with the pain of tendinitis for a year or so and then just had surgery. His hand was in a cast for two weeks, but he was back to remolding his house a week after the surgery.
  10. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

i know my husqvarna 326L is 9 lbs dry weight with 24 cc. i added the skidplate that comes on the 326Lx to the bottom for wear and it has a soft spring in trigger like echos. not as powerfull as the stihl 4mix though. but it sounds rather like you need a doctor.