Already toasted hydro pump on 06 exmark Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 23, 2006.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought this Exmark 56" 27HP ZTR mower 2months ago and the other day I was mowing a small hill and my hydro pump just stopped working and winding really bad then started leaking everywhere. Dealer said it was probably a fluke thing, and gave me a loner to use while it was getting fixed. Now today when I was mowing with the loner he gave me which was identicle to mine, I noticed my right hydro pump pulsing really bad whenever I turned left or took off kind of fast like something is skipping really bad. I hope these arent some cheap pumps that are going to have problems all the time. I spent 11K on this mower (including VAC, Striper kit etc) and I am pi$$ed I am dealing with this already. If anyone else is experiencing probs with the 06 models, please let me know. Thanks

Jason

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Fluke. Bad seal or something, I would imagine.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to agree also.

Not to fuel the fire though, but eXmark does need to do a little "catching up" in the hydro drive department though. I can't believe they still don't have any sort of cooling on their systems.

4. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

real nice of the dealer to give you a loaner, sucks about the pump though!

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

http://www.exmark.com/popups/mobil1.htm

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Those damn commercial mowers!

7. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Envy,

Why would you add cost and mechanical moving parts (fans) that require maintenance to a system that works extremely well and does not have failures from overheating?

There are no overheating/cooling issues with the Exmark hydros that use the Mobil 1 synthetic. They have years and many hard hours on them without failure. They have more than proven themselves. The synthetic and the cast resevoir with integrated cooling fins do an excellent job of drawing heat away.

If the system has been working well for years, why would you want to add moving parts? Maintenance and cost down the road for the moving parts would be all you would "gain".

Adding mechanical parts at additional cost would be a step backwards, not an improvement.

Lasher, there is no systematic problem with these pumps. You are just the "lucky" one who got a bad pump off the line. Warranty is to get the manufacturing bugs out of a product, just like this one.

deej

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO the thing about exmark lazer I don't like is they use 12 cc pumps and have no cooler. You don't need a fan with the cooler, just use engine air intake. I think they should use the 16 cc pumps with a cooler on laser line, this will make the hydro system last longer. Hydros get very hot, just feel them on hot day after running for couple hours. If I purchased a exmark I like there laser xs line. Have big 21cc pumps with oil cooler, which will last a long time and just fly up hills.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

While that may be true, Why do they need a cooling system when the currents ones work fine and run all time. I have an old 95' lazer with the ORIGINAL pumps, althought they run on borrowed time, they are still good.

I also have an 04' that cuts for hours at a time without stopping (heat) and I've never had a problem with those.

I just don't feel a colling system is necessary, except on the big diesels where all they do is mostly extended running.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

rob1325 ... do you have any engineering analysis, or detailed experimental evidence to support your suggested changes. If so, perhaps you need to work for a manufacturer of this kind of equipment. I'm sure there is more money in engineering than mowing lawns and using the equipment.