1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Already wanting to ditch the 2500HD for something with better fuel economy...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jason Rose, Dec 11, 2009.

1. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

My 98 F150 with 4.6 V8 can get 20 MPG if I behave. It doesn't have any rattles of squeaks and runs great with 113k on the odometer.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

People say buy a diesel for fuel economy sure you maybe saving money in fuel but when it comes times to repair say good bye fuel savings. Even a oil change will make the fuel savings moot.

A half ton will give the best fuel mileage if its geared right.

One of the guys I worked with he is happy with his 2009 1/2 ton 4x4 chev with the 6.0. He was originally going to buy a 3/4 ton but the half ton pulls his travel trailer just fine.

If you want fuel mileage you buy something with a 4 banger rice cooker.
  3. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

yeah, buy a diesel!!

more money up front new or used
    alot of time the fuel is higher than gas
    oil changes is more, maintenance in general is higher
    if anything at all goes wrong with it, it's higher
    etc. etc. etc.

If your pulling around 18,000 lbs all the time then that's one thing, but just to have one because every other joke with to much money or to much credit is another...man.. did somebody kick my dog?
  4. exmark614

exmark614 LawnSite Member

I'm sorry I thought this was America. Doesn't one have a choice to what they want to buy for a vehicle?
  5. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't do exhaust, that'll give you power, but minor increases in mileage. Go for a tune, much better results.
  6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

an increase is an increase though, right? ;)
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Exhaust does help, if it's done right.. But it may only be a gain of maybe 1 mpg at the most, but anything helps, plus it would sound better :)

Tuners for gassers are a pretty big waste of money... been there, done that with my old Z-71. Luckily, because it was 6 or so years old at the time the tuner was not too bad $$ wise. I've priced them for this '08 truck and yikes! $400 to $500. In a few years they will get cheaper (as the truck gets older) But again, not much improvements for fuel economy on a gasser. I got mine for the other truck because I changed tire size (larger) and wanted to correct the speedometer.
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Do like I did and get a little POS 4cyl 5 speed 2wd Ranger to drive around and keep your nice truck for nice occasions and trips. Mines gonna pay for its self every 6 months with fuel savings.
  9. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 2006 Tundra long bed, 2 wheel drive with the V6, get around 19 Miles to the gallon in everyday driving and 24 when we are on trips.

Just about the heaviest thing we tow are 5 or 6 yards of mulch in the trailer and it certainly has no issues with that. For all the large mulch jobs we rather pay the $35 delivery fee...

65000 miles in 3 years, not a single problem.
  10. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 2006 Tundra Crew cab V8, the best I can do with it is 18.5 miles to the gallon on trips. About 14 miles to the gallon hauling the maintenance trailer on the lawn route.

66500 miles in three years with no problems as well.:dancing: