1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Already wanting to ditch the 2500HD for something with better fuel economy...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jason Rose, Dec 11, 2009.

1. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

X2. I get 18 mpg with my F350. It's a 97, but it was a one owner and really clean. I just rolled over 160,000 last week. If you look around you can find some reasonable deals. And you can get lucky at the dealers if they have some old stock they need to move. My buddy picked up a new 08 Dodge 2500 Cummins Big Horn that had a MSRP of $48K for $31K.
  2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I don't know how many of you listen to The Clark Howard Show, but the price of oil is heading down. You may just want to wait this one out. Another suggestion is that if you really like everything about the truck except the MPG, consider investing in a propane/natural gas conversion kit. You would start saving on fuel costs right off the bat, and in a few years it would pay for itself. You also would get a tax credit for switching to a clean fuel alternative.
  3. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

lets put it this way my 98 ranger xlt supercab 4x4 stepside with a 4.0 gets about 11-12 except for the one trip where somehow it burned 4 gal of gas in 100 miles
  4. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is this kit to do a conversion on and what the cost of propane per gallon?
  5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

my 2000 silverado with the 4.3 gets around 14-16 mpg then one time i drove it from here to florida (about 800 miles) and i averaged 21 which surprised me but stick with a v8 no matter what the v6 is overrated so is the i5 in the colorado
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i hear honda minivans get 20+mpg!!!!
  7. rcslawncare

My 03 2500HD gets 10-12 mpg. Just something you got to live with. Its bigger than the 6.0, but i know i can pull anything when I need it. I don't think a less capable pick up will be the answer, thats just me!
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well since this thread came back up for some reason... I'm keeping my truck! For one, it's really nice, and frankly there's not much more that I could want/need in a truck, other brands just don't stand out like GM does. For two, this is very much a SELLERS market for trucks right now!!! They use th excuse that because of the cash for clunkers there just not much out there right now in the way of newer used trucks, so they are prices accordingly. I saw trucks with USED prices on them that were as much as they sold for brand new.

I just need to find a girlfriend with a nice car... haha. that would be the BEST option.
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Kits range in price from $1200-$2000. I'm sure you could even find some super high-end ones with titanium this and platinum that, but the ones around here run $1500 plus installation. To get the price equivalence for fuel, 1.25 therms of LG/LP equals 1 gallon of gas. Check your local rates to get the current price.:)
  10. rcslawncare

Dang, I appreciate the info. I will have to look into that cause it sounds cool!