Alright big mulch job need some guidance!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I was asked to bid on a large mulch job for a hospital and it will take 500yds of mulch. How in the world do you charge for this and bid it fair? I can get mulch at 16.00 a yd delivered when I buy it a 18 wheeler load. But how much for labor? Thank you.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First, you should certainly be able to find a better deal for 500 yards than $16.00 a yard. That's all I pay for premium mulch just buying it 1-5 yards at the time. For 500 yards I could get it for between $8-12.00 a yard.

Second, that much I'd look at "subbing" it out so to speak and have it blown in. You should be able to do that for $16-$18.00 a yard and not even have to do the work. I have one site (4 buildings) that takes 700 yards and that is what i do.
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah,what he said
  4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Contact any/all local bark blowing companies. We have used them for many jobs in the past with great success. You may not net as much, but the time you would spend doing the job compared to them is not worth it. Mark them up a percentage and make your normal margins doing something else at the same time.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

MM,I pay $38.00 to 42.00 a yard MY you know why I have to charge so much..that is not delivered price either.
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch pricing is very regional. The cost is mostly depenent on shipping.

Bark blowers in my area get $65 per yard (complete).

I have a belief that if you can not price something, you should not do it.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you were a little closer we could blow it in for you with our blower truck. we really havent done any jobs in jersey yet with our blower, but we go to Mass and Ny all the time.
  8. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

if thats they case then your bussiness would never be able to grow, some of us wernt born knowing how to bid every thing and we learn as we go
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

For that much mulch I would defiantly think about having it blown in as MM said.
  10. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

charge your regular rate as for any other mulch job. Thats my opinion. Just hire more guys for a day or two.