Alright, breaking down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I've decided I'm going to sell my car. Got a '98 Audi A4 that I'm going to part ways with for multiple reasons. Now that I've started the business, having 2 vehicles doesn't make financial sense for me right now, I just can't afford the insurance and upkeep on 2 vehicles right now. So, I'm going to let go of my baby.

With all that said, I should be able to get $7K for the car, easy. Going to pick up a trailer for $1K, probably $500 to upfit with racks, maybe a toolbox if it doesn't have one, etc., etc. I just went to look at another lawn yesterday that is larger w/b territory. I can still handle all these lawns with a 21", except I'm trying to work 5 days a week at my restaurant job and want to make the absolute most money I can in the 2 days off a week that I have. So, if I can knock out $300 a day with a 36" instead of maybe $150 with a 21", the added cost of owning a trailer and larger w/b completely pays for itself as I wouldn't have to cut back my schedule at the restaurant to 4 days a week.

Now comes the mower shopping. I'd like to have $2-3K leftover after the sale of the car to hold in a savings account incase I need to do some emergency work on my truck. Doubt it will happen, but I need to plan for the worst. That gives me $4-5K to spend on a trailer and mower

I'm thinking I need a 32" for gates, but a 36" might be in the cards. Ideally, I think a Wright Stander 32" would be the best option, but the $4300 price tag is a buzz kill. I have Exmark, Scag, and Toro dealers pretty close, that's about it. The used market here is pretty dry as far as I can tell, haven't seen anything used for sale. I'd like hydro, but with my scant budget I think I don't think I'll be able to afford one unless it's used. I'm leaning toward Toro only because I can get a belt drive with a floating deck, this really appeals to me because height of cut is all over the place here. Some grasses you can cut at 2", some are in the 3.5" range.

I'm going to put my commercial 21" purchase on hold, I'll stash that $1,000 away and put it toward my needs. I'll pickup a nice used Toro or Honda off craigslist for $200 or so and go to work with that. Should have the car sold in a month or so pretty easy, we'll see how everything goes. Just thought I'd throw up an update. Work is coming in, I'm getting really busy, but I still need to get my truck lettered in the next couple weeks.

2. Puller504

Puller504 LawnSite Member

Check out the Better Outdoor Products Quick 36 HYDRO mower. Better is a sponsor of this site, there's all positive comments about their mowers! Don