Alright guys how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Well this will be my third year and I would like to know what the skinny is on breaking into the commercial world. How do you go about doing it? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Find some properties you are intrested in and go talk to them. Find out when they will take new bids etc... Leave them a flyer, brochure, and business card if at all possible. You want to get your name out to them and let them know you are professional. Good luck!

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Let's put it out there. There is no secret formula, tactic, or tirck in getting commercial work. You simply audit their property. make suggested improvement in writing and submit your bid. The next thing is simply a phone book ad. when they are looking for bids they will call you.

4. J Hisch

Sean this was posted in no offense to your suggestion these are just mine.

5. Lawn Services Plus

Lawn Services Plus LawnSite Member

Im trying some ideas on this topic and if they work I will let
    you know. Question: who would be the person to address
    a bid request to at a church? (title) I assume it would be a board or panel -I live in rural Georgia and there small churches everywhere .Like to hear pros and cons on bidding on these.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

heres my theory

Its not always what you know but who you know.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

yep.

8. J Hisch

I would tend to agree to that statement. It also helps when you maintain some of the most visible properties around town.

9. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

keep in mine that some of these companys do not want a beautiful landscape project! they want the bare minimum to get the city off their back, make sure you find this out before you turn a bid in.

10. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time it is who you know. We maintain the hospital in town because we knew the retiring groundskeeper very well and he suggested to the head of maintenance to give us a try. Also, as far as new construction of commercial accounts, a lot of times your residential customers will know the owner or builder and you can get your name in that way. You will start running into price wars when you start bidding on commercials that take bids every year. You better be damn sure you know ALL your costs before you start to play that game.

Good Luck,

Todd