Alright, I've had it. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Sep 25, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Gentlemen,

I've had it up to my eyeballs with LCO's who don't pay taxes, don't have insurance, lowball and to top it off brag it up!!!! We should not sit around on our hands and feel like there is nothing we can do about it. Whether you do good work or not, these guys are a threat to our business. Even if we were to lose one customer and because of terrible work they come back to us, we've still lost the revenue during this time. This scenario doesn't take into account what happens if we never get the job back.

It is time this industry as a whole be proactive in retaining our jobs through the education of our customers. I propose that we come up with some educational/promotional material that can be mailed to existing customers and submitted along with every new quote.

Things that would be in it:

-Insurance and why professionals carry it, what can happen if a contractor doesn't...
    -Taxes, including sales, and why we pay them...
    -All applicable licenses...
    -Your thoughts go here...

I'm open to suggestions, but this should be the starting point. We need to distinguish ourselves. Today every illegitimate LCO has got a shiny truck and good equipment. We need to differentiate ourselves by showing our professionalism in the business end.

I am stepping to the plate to do something about this instead of just complaining about it. My graphic designer is going to be getting a call when I have finalized what I want in the leaflet.

Let's see what we can come up with.

2. I'm with you, we see it all of the time. The problem is, most of the residential customers could care less. All they are interested in is how inexpensive they can get their lawn done. Commercial accounts feel differently.:blob2:

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I am fully licensed and insured but have NEVER had a res. cust ask me if I was or not. Down here price seems to be the MAIN concern. Now my comm. properties are a different story. They require proof of both.

4. Sorry to hear that, but there is nothing you can do about it.

OR beat them at their own game.

LGF:blob1:

5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I don't mean to imply that this has happened to me yet. I think that it is a legitmate concern. I don't think it would hurt for customers to know why they made the right choice with a little reminder. It would also give new customers somewhat of a checklist to compare contractors with. The more info you present with a bid the better. This would perhaps level the playing field.

6. I have had customers ask me before if I was insured. Very few require a certificate. Most that do ask say that if I want to I can send them one, but its not necessary. Or, if you have insurance that is good, if not, no big deal. -Some people say that.

7. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Lawngodfather, Why even reply if you have nothing useful to add to a post?

JLC, It sounds like you have a good idea. Maybe you could add something in your info packet with a story of someone who got sued by the uninsured LCO. Of course, the story would need to be true. I think something like that would help people understand the importance of hiring lic. and insured LCO's.

8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

a 1/2" drill bit in a cordless drill will stop them from moving to the next lawn [​IMG] [​IMG]

J/K!

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

most people here just want a decent price, and a decent job. ive had 2 people ask me if i was insured, both time their only concern was me getting hurt on thier property, and suing them. i explained that me having ins does not protect them from being sued. ive found mostly the only question im asked is how much.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

way this post started ,i thought wes all gon meet somewhere an
    hunt that crazy man down. oh well put the gun up mamma an pass the grits.:)