Alright that's it.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Feb 14, 2004.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am so sick of putting up w/ the crap I have to put up w/ from my friends at school. What I am talking about is when they see me, they tend to crack some dumb ones and say mean things like "you might be a redneck if you spend four thousand on a lawn mower" Once again I tell them it is a business expense but they still give me crap. Whenever I talk about something not even related to the green industry they just say "why don't you just get a Lazer Z" and laugh frantically. I always say that I make a bit more money then they do, and most of them don't even have jobs. I do make a much bigger chunk of change then they do ever since I got the outgoing freight manager job at a local trucking company.

Has anybody ever had this problem, especially teens in particular, and if so, any suggestions to a good retaliation saying?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not that bad, but I would get jokes cracked once and a while. I started at the age of 14 in lawncare. They would call me Edward Scissorhands and junk. Boy did they shut up when they saw me with my evey new toy that came out. After a while they realized I was making some serious cash for a kid, and were asking for jobs.
    Bought my first truck when I was 15. I wasn't even old enough to drive the thing. The same people laughing at me, were the first ones to ask for rides everywhere.

Stick to your guns kid, it will pay off in the long run. :p

3. GTLC

Yeah, I am just maybe gonna wait till I save up a thousand bucks, then get it all in 20 dollar bills, then the next time they give me a hard time I will just whip it out and say "money talks" I think they will shut up after that.

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

n1alx,

You need to realize that you are older then your years, and one to be admired. You have a small business that is making a profit it is something that your friends do not have, some of them don't even have a job as you have mentioned.

Your friends are doing this partially because of jealousy, and immaturity. DON"T tell them that though, it will just make things worse.

I am 40 years old and work as a full time firefighter 24 on and 48 off. I still have to put up with the same stuff you are putting up with. Get a stiff upper lip, buck up, and take it you make a joke out of yourself, laugh at their jokes. Dont take it personally. If you show them it bothers you they will keep on, if you let it roll off like water on a ducks back they will let up.

Its all a part of growing up.

Jim

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan to stay in this line of work, you better get used to it. Landscaping/Lawn Care is a very humble profession.

I originally went to Penn St for Psychology. I had already started my own company while I was in college. I realized pretty quickly that I was already making more part time in this business, than a starting psychologist. So I quit after one year.

It ended up being a great decision. But I still have relatives and in laws that think I am down on my luck because I cut grass for a living. Even though I do so much more than that.

I have one aunt out of state who offers to get me a job every time I talk to her. I tell her the same thing every time, "As soon as you can find me a company to run, that will equal what I make now, and give me two months off per year Im there".

Point is, if you enjoy what you do, dont worry about what others say. Just laugh all the way to the bank! :D

6. GTLC

Yeah Jim I understand. Oh well, at least when you are in the firehouse it is a big brotherhood, I realized that when I did a job shadow w/ the Burlington Fire Department. 24 on/48 off. I might become to be a career firefighter somewhere when I get out of college. I also went to teh Vermont Fire Cadet Academy last summer. A little off topic, but it's good to know there are a few firefighters out there.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

8. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I used to get it all the time from people in school a few years ago. Now everyone see's the truck I drive, and the money that I'm making, and now they want to work for me. Funny ain't it?:cool2:

Brian

9. GTLC

lol I forgot to mention this to Brian. First, they give me a hard time about it for about 8 months, then I mention that I might be getting an assistant or two to help me, and now half of them who gave me a hard time in the first place really regret it b/c they want to be my assistant!

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I heard this quote long time ago, don't know where, "if you enjoy what you do, you never have to go to work".

I wouldn't worry about what the kids at school think, it just shows their ingnorance. Also, don't flash your money around, that just brings you to their level. :)