Alright to start a retaining Wall project?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by REVOLUTION LAWN CO., Jan 12, 2005.

REVOLUTION LAWN CO. LawnSite Member

I live in Missouri and it seems like all we have been getting is snow and ice lately:rolleyes:. We are scheduled to start a very large retaining wall project. Has anyone encountered problems while installing a wall during the winter? I can only see one problem that would be the level of difficulty digging out the soil. We will be backfilling the wall as well so I dont believe we would have to worry about the snow and ice melting possibly causing a wash out or what not. Any inofrmation/help would be greatly appreciated.. :)

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should be fine down there. All the snow you guys are getting is abnornal. Just make sure that your base is installed properly. Up here it's next to impossible to do installs, because all of our materials freeze. Stone, soil, and sand piles become solid blocks of ice.
    Once you get past the digging & the eventual mud, you should be ok.

REVOLUTION LAWN CO. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I can see how your sand and other things may become frozen:) . Down here there expecting a warm up and that should melt all the snow/ice. Currently we are planning on doing it as long as the weather cooperates and they aren't expecting large amounts of snow or ice.

Thanks Again,
  4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Chris. You may have to dig a little deeper, which means that you'll have to use more stone for the base, but you should be fine.
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem I could forsee for you is the same one we had on our project:
    Wet fill.

If the wall is large enough to require grid, you need to make sure the backfill is properly compacted. If the backfill is too wet, it will become spongy when you pack it, and there's not much you can do at that point.

If there's any way to perform your excavation, then cover the spoils pile, that's probably what you need to do. This time of year it takes a while for things to dry out.