Alternative Fuel Engines

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Wayne Landscaping, May 24, 2004.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Dear eXmark,
    Your products are very great and impressive but I have one question and a suggestion. Do you think within the next couple of years you will make a laser with an alternative fuel engine? Gas prices are one the rise and the atmosphere is not getting cleaner so I thought it would be a good idea. My final suggestion would be a quiter version of the laser to stop pestering customers with loud engines. PLease take these suggestions into accout for next years line up. Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Wayne,

All great suggestions.

We are really at the mercy of the engine manufacturers when it comes to using alternative fuels and they are at the mercy of the economic environment, fuel suppliers and political environment at the time.

Kohler as an example has had propane powered versions of most of their engines for some time. We've even seen some of these in use on some of our products in areas where air pollution has forced legislative controls on power equipment.

In regards to noise levels we are already seeing some changes. As more and more liquid cooled engines are developed and become accepted I believe you'll see a decrease in engine noise levels. It's much more difficult to make an air cooled engine quiet than it is a liquid cooled engine. The cooling jackets of a liquid cooled engine do seam to quiet these engines down a great deal compared to the air cooled engines.

Thanks

Terry