alternative marketing strategy

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Uberscaper, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Uberscaper

Uberscaper LawnSite Member

My company is an established company with over 8 years of experience in the field. We are currently trying to revamp our marketing strategy. We would like to find another way to market ourselves besides using flyers, mailers, or the yellow pages. Does anybody have any suggestions of additional ways to market our company?

2. ovlc

ovlc LawnSite Member

If you don't have a web site get one. You would be surprised at the amount of people in your area who would rather look online than in a phone book.

3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah man, your in Dallas, a large city. Get a website up, even if it is fairly generic at first. Get someone to do something inexpensive, or do it yourself.

I live in Houston and the only good advertising I've done is online since I started last March. 80 properties in one year.

Tried the Houston Chronicle...two weeks, one response
    Tried flyers. 500 = 2 calls (plus a lot of wasted time)

I just got my truck decals and lettering yesterday and I'm actually in Dallas this weekend so I don't really know how well its gonna work yet. But I imagine sitting in rush hour traffic, it will get some views.

Anyhow . . . . . . .

Put a little ad on craigslist.org and backpage.com every two days that links to your website.

Check out www.adwords.google.com and advertise through the search engine (pay per click)

Call up Idearc Media also known as Superpages.com (based out of Plano) and talk to them about what they might be able to do for you. They were swamping my phone last summer with calls.

DO NOT DO ADWORDS AND SUPERPAGES AT THE SAME TIME. (pointless)

If you need any help with -any- of this internet stuff, let me know, I can explain more in detail.

4. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I use craigslist a lot. I read a lot of people disagree, but it's free and I got roughly 30 new clients at $70 a pop average from it in the last 2 months.

I also use google adwords and I'm getting into yellowpages.com shortly.

Of course, I have a website, and it's my sole function for marketing right now.

I did flyers but found it to be a waste of time thus far. I can get 3x the response by posting an ad in craigslist for free and waiting.

5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

That is my exact perspective. The man hours it takes to hang door hangers and do flyers is obsolete when it comes to the internet. The majority of people these days have a computer in their home.

I ignore door hangers and always have.

I did speak to a guy that specialized in advertising with door hangers. Sorta a door hanger service... When asked about the percentage of door hangers hanged to phone calls he said the percentage was about 1%.

Too much walking for me. I'd rather manage my advertising campaigm with my butt in a chair :laugh:

On the craigslist subject, I have also see a lot of negative feedback from it, but I always try to emphasize... WEED OUT THOSE TIRE KICKERS FROM THE START.

By this, I mean, you need to put certain stuff in your ad such as minimum price, services, and let them see that you aren't some lowballer trying to give the "Any lawn $25!" deal.

Also make sure to keep good keywords in your ad that google will pick up. Sometimes, my craigslist ad shows up on the first page of certain google searches. Thats priceless advertising right there.

6. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I agree, you get a lot of junk from craigslist ... but who cares? I get good paying customers too. I probably go through more quotes, but like you said ... It's free, and i did it from my butt.

7. Uberscaper

Ok, about the adwords... How many leads can i expect, and how much of an investment should i start with?

8. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

You pay per click with AdWords. You decide how much you want to pay also, it's like bidding. You tell them how much you're willing to pay and you get placed accordingly.

I'm in Phx, so it's agressive, as I'm sure it will be in Dallas also. I pay $1 per click for ads on Google and $.50 for their affiliate ads (they show up on other related sites that web-owners profit from) and I average 5th ranking. I get about 10 clicks per day, and 25% of those people complete my form. I am running an average of about $7 for every person who completes my form.

If I am willing to pay more per click, I could get more showings. I think the top guy in my area is paying $2 or more per click.

If you know how to track this using Googles tools, it's better. But if you're not familiar with the programing of your website, you might find this difficult.

I also find the Google people are more serious buyers and tend to argue less about my prices, especially over the craigslist folks.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Yardsigns...once you complete a job or as you are completing a job place your yardsign out there. We do it in one neighborhood were we do four clients right in a row so all the people driving in the community see our signs. It generates some phone calls. Considered I had them done three or four years ago we just keep using them and it works pretty well...best of all the cost is relatively low.

Have you thought about newspaper inserts or ads in the local paper?

10. Uberscaper

We've actually done the inserts in the newspaper, and found that it didn't really work too our advantage... :(