alternative pond liners

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by newbieponder, Mar 6, 2006.

1. newbieponder

newbieponder LawnSite Member

I am new at this and am attempting an 11x14 yard pond. Can you tell me the best (and cheapest) liner out there to use? This is my first, but hopefully not my last. My husband has a lawn maintenance/landscaping business and we are hoping to be able to start building yard ponds too as we have had a lot of requests for this ...but first we are experimenting in our own backyard. Are there other alternatives to regular poly liners? Thanks.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

As you obviously know. There are many types of liners. Each of them have their merits and each have their drawbacks. Some of the most popular types are EPDM (rubber), Polyethylene and PVC. If properly installed, any type of pond liner will do well for you.
    I'm glad to see that you want to get into pond building the right way. There are too many people out there who are installing ponds for customers, before they have enough knowledge to be competent at it.
    To answer your question, a good alternative to a poly liner, is an EPDM liner. EPDM liners are made of rubber. They also come in varying thicknesses. Some are 20 mil, some are 45 mil. Some even come in 60 mil thicknesses (with an underlayment attached).
    When I built my pond in my backyard. I used a type of liner that's called an "Ultraguard" liner. A blend of polymers are used to make this type of liner. One of the reasons I used it was because of weight considerations. I was going to have to use a lot of liner to properly fill my pond excavation. Had I used EPDM liner (especially 45 mil), the liner would have been unbelievably heavy.
    One important thing to remember when you start talking asbout liners, is to if you don't do the installation of it properly, you could be looking at a huge headache, if you have to repair it, or replace it. One of the best insurance policies for a pond liner, is an underlayment. An underlayment is a membrane that provides mechanical protection for a pond's liner. The underlayment is put down in the pond excavation before the liner is. This way, the underlayment is designed to help prevent sharp objects from punturing the liner. When you see someone have trouble with a pierced liner. There's a good chance they didn't use an underlayment Newbie. It's cheap, but very important insurance when you construct a pond.
    If you'd ever like to discuss pond building topics, by all means. Send me a PM and I'll give you a number to call. There are a lot of other considerations I can go over with you that way. I hope this helped you. :waving:

Vic

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I used a old waterbed mattress for mine worked great
    Kingsize of course

4. Victor

I've never heard of anyone using an old waterbed mattress Sheshovel. Now that's ingenuity! There are a lot of books that recommend using newspapers, sand, old rugs and other items. I like your idea better than any of those Sheshovel because your protection won't rot, the way all of those other items will (except the sand). Sand though, is hard to keep in place when you're putting the liner in and can be difficult to line the walls of your excavation with (if they're steep).
    Since Newbie is planning on making a big pond, her best bet will still be to buy underlayment.
    What kind of fish are you planning to keep in your pond Newbie?

Vic

5. newbieponder

newbieponder LawnSite Member

Thanks!! I never thought about lining the pond before the liner to prevent future snags in the liner. Good thing I am still in the beginning stages! I am not really sure just yet about the fish. Since I am new to this and am still trying to figure out all the pump, filter, bio ponds, bogs and so forth ...I think I might just start out with some goldfish and see how that goes and go from there. I would love to eventually have koi.

6. Victor

:) Give me a call and we'll have a nice lonng talk about ponds.

Vic