1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Alternative to CGM

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by brianlooft, May 23, 2008.

1. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

This is wishful thinking, but is there any other "meal" out there with similar effects to CGM? Im already thinking about next year and how crazy prices will be. Ive had really good results thus far with CGM and would like to try other things if they are out there. Just thinking.
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Iowa state university horticulture group seems to be the leaders in this kind of research I would start there

We will have a liquid CGM product out, cross your fingers, this fall. The application rate is 1 quart per 1000 and the N is only 1.5%.
  3. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

Thats music to my ears Bill! Im looking forward to going all liquid if I can.
  4. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

Sounds great Bill! Are you looking for the same level of suppression as with 20lb per k with the granular CGM? What other goodies can we expect to see in the mix along with the CG?
  5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yard, Yes it is an apples to apples comparison of 20 lbs per 1000.

The issue has been when you strip out the active proteins that suppress the seed growth they are just that, proteins. Its kind of like, how do you perserve a McDonalds big mac to have a 12 month shelf life. Proteins like to break down quickly which is a problem for products that need shelf life.

The folks in Canada that own the patent finally figured it out after 4 years of trying, all we have to do now is spend big bucks on a processing plant. without too many hickups this should be complete in August maybe September.

It will be a stand alone product, just liquid CGM
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I take it it's going to be just as expensive if not more?