Alternative to cutting a valve out of a tight manifold

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

When I run into a tight manifold or a valve thats no longer made I leave it there. Why open a can of worms , we do sometinng so easy and quick, You simply locate the downstream pipe about 1 foot away from the bad valve and install a new one. Take the old valve apart and make it stay open , move the wires to the new valve and place on a new box.
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we do this when:

1- it is an older, copper manifold.
    2- we believe that by removing the valve the manifold will break.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Never thought of that. I like it though. If the down stream pipe is poly do you replace it with PVC?
  4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

well what you can sometimes do is remove the whole top end of the valve- bonnet and all, and usually that allows enough room to unscrew the body from the pipe male adapter.. then install the new valve the same way.. its worked for me in a few instances....
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I do it that way too Koster, actually did it Friday with three old brass Rainbird valves
  6. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

We usaully build a new manifold & replace all of the valves (with the homeowners permission). If they are that old, then the others probably are not going to last long. I do like the idea of leaving the valve & installing a new one further down the lateral -never tried it.
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Not being a fan of master valves we disable them too. They will never be a service problem to find or remember again.

Unfortuantely most of our repairs on these types of mess involve a leak in fitting and the whole mess must be rebuilt from scratch.

No matter how big a mess the old manifold was we build a nice straight new one and configure the down stream side of the piping how we need to put it all back together.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Speaking of manifolds, has anyone asembled them out of all sch80 threaded fittings? I'm talking for 1 1/2" and less.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Now we are a big fan of the master valves and add master valves when ever its possible. Especially on commercial systems . We have found that over the years systems with master valves have less valve failures than those that dont.

We do recomment that the whole valve box be replaced , but some customers budgets dont allow for this . So the down stream valve comes into play.
  10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I agree with gutting the valve and being able to screw it off... usually works out... My question is (maybe I'm reading what you do wrong) that when you winterize the system is that inactive valve going to be a problem now? Won't there be water in the valve that you bypassed... causing it to crack in the spring and making you have to replace it anyway?