Alternative To Fiesta

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Talon, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Talon

Talon LawnSite Member

Hey what's going on?

I live in the Toronto area, and the only thing we're allowed spraying for weeds is Fiesta.

Now it's far more expensive then practical for spraying lawns.

I've heard of a couple companies using 'off brand' Fiesta. Essentially a no name liquid fertilizer with iron in it.

Anyone know of any suppliers of that product?

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Nutrite.

But the PMRA , MOE and Neudorff are trying to catch companies using Unregistered products. That is except for the homeowner, they can still use anything they want, even 2,4-D. (They get it from the USA) The Ministry of the Environment does not inspect homeowners. Praise the Ontario Pesticide Ban.

Around here the lawn care guys with no licenses, no insurance are the ones that have the nicest customers lawns, they are not on the Ontario Landscape Trade Association Lists so the Enforcement Officers don't go after them.

The best part of it all is that in order to get FIESTA to work well, you need to use it off label at 6 to 8 applications a year.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

If that were true I would not have 90% repeat sales.

4. HayBay

from Ontario

The truths gets diluted when you still have access to cavalcade and can claim that Fiesta is the only product being applied. Try going without.

My comment is not based on boosting sales volumes and profit as other posters here. Come to Ontario and see for yourself.

Glendstone Memorial will be the showpiece for Alternative products, with the secret application of Cavalacade when nobody is watching.

Regrowth will occur within 2 weeks with Fiesta. Excessive usage of Fiesta dries out and thins lawns.

If you live in an area with no restrictions on 2,4-D or Cavalcade, don't waste your time with FIESTA. If you have customers who want Alternatives on their lawn for safety reasons, educate them that EPA, PMRA registered pesticides are SAFE to use for even Pregnant Women and Children to roll around in the grass.

Stand up to BEYOND PESTICIDES, Jay Feldman and Safelawns Paul Tukey.

90% Resale more than likely means that they need that much more product, 6-8 apps to get it to work.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  5. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

OP, your looking for FeHEDTA, not liquid fertilizer with iron.

haybay, Thanks for the honest evaluation, its refreshing reading on these boards.

Sure F.D.R would be turning in his grave knowing the amount of iron chelate
    poisoning micro soil life and leaching heavy metals into the water table while ye boast.

6. phasthound

To be clear, I agree there are drawbacks with Fiesta. It is expensive and does not work as well chemical herbicides. Fiesta does provide advantages for those who would rather not or cannot use chemical herbicides, lower EPA toxicity rating, less impact on the environment and it beats hand pulling.

No matter which products the professional uses, they should be considered as part of sound cultural management practices.

7. HayBay

from Ontario

Why would people need to use a product like FIESTA or other products someone arbitrarily deems safer (or a best choice) than Conventional Pesticides on the market?????

The only reasons I can come up with is Political Decisions based on emotion, not facts.

If we stop the Enviro Whining, we can all get back to business and use products that work effectively, minimal repeat applications and with very little active ingredient required.

Here is what Peter Chan Director General of PMRA Health Canada says about Registered Pesticides, including ones for Lawns like 2,4-D.

Here is what Health Canada says about 2,4-D , pregnant women and children
    Why do people not trained in this field suggest different???? I am guessing financial gain.

If the Government is not to be trusted, do we trust PAUL TUKEY? How about BEYOND PESTICIDES? Canadian Cancer Society??? Who do we trust?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: We trust gov't. becuz they tell us the Truth and the ONLY propaganda comes out of Iron Curtain Universities, becuz they are controlled by Communist Regimes, who push for the fabled excellence of Free Medical Care... Glyphosate is evil but radioactivity from Japan is fine... :laugh:

9. phasthound

If anyone is interested, I have a 2011 Technical Bulletin of FIESTA effectiveness on Dandelion at 56 DAT Ohio State University; Creeping Charlie at 57 DAT Guelph Turfgrass Institute; Oxalis at 38 DAT PAT2H Consulting. All with one or two applications only.

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested, Barry. I'm more interested in long term effectiveness, as that's what seems to be lacking in the 2-4, D alternatives.